Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • P0420 How To Diagnose a Bad Converter

P0420 How To Diagnose a Bad Converter

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge The EricTheCarGuy Video Forum P0420 How To Diagnose a Bad Converter

• Creator
    Topic
    EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
    Keymaster

This is probably one of my favorite videos of 2012 and also my last of 2012. I look forward to your thoughts on this one.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      WDHewsonWDHewson
      Participant

Eric:

Agreed that was an informative video.

Do you have an opinion why cat-converters go bad? Bad fuel. Wear out? Overcooked?

EdwinEdwin
        Participant

Thanks Eric. Very informative video.

Any legitimate reason why there are states that do not do emissions testing? It doesn’t make sense to me.

Jared ThomsonJared Thomson
          Participant

Awesome video Eric! I have also seen a cat clog up causing poor engine performance and excess heat built up before the cat (enough to make them glow!). Also, I thought I would share my experiences with cleaning cats. I have done it, and it did work for about a month. From my experiences, you are just postponing the inevitable.

Tom SharplesTom Sharples
            Participant

Great video, arguably the best I’ve seen on ETCG. I really enjoy ETCG1 as a tech for the conversation starters when I get to work!
              There is a lot of ways to diagnose a CAT and the method you suggest is the best in my opinion. Good results without having to break out seized O2 sensors to do back pressure testing!

Thanks Eric, Merry Christmas

Keymaster

[quote=”Emphasis” post=42617]Thanks Eric. Very informative video.

Any legitimate reason why there are states that do not do emissions testing? It doesn’t make sense to me.[/quote]

In in southwest OH they stopped because it wasn’t doing anything to help air quality. It was really just another tax so they voted it out. There’s an old testing facility a stones throw from my shop, it’s been out of commission for years.

Keymaster

[quote=”jthomsonmain” post=42642]Awesome video Eric! I have also seen a cat clog up causing poor engine performance and excess heat built up before the cat (enough to make them glow!). Also, I thought I would share my experiences with cleaning cats. I have done it, and it did work for about a month. From my experiences, you are just postponing the inevitable.[/quote]

I think I might make a video giving it a try just to say I did.

Lord IhcalamLord Ihcalam
                  Participant

Any legitimate reason why there are states that do not do emissions testing? It doesn’t make sense to me.[/quote]

Most of oregon doesnt test either. makes it nice for these repairs you just cut the thing out and put in pipe to fill the void. Here they dont test because its cost prohibitive. not enough population to warrant the expense of a testing station. in the more urban areas of the state they do test. our main air pollutant is wood stove smoke anyway.

Andrew ThompsonAndrew Thompson
                    Participant

Do they rattle when you hit them?

If not surly this is a perfect time to try some of those miracle cures :cheer:

Morgan ThompsonMorgan Thompson
                      Participant

GREAT VIDEO. I always wondered what the proper test was for a CAT.

Keymaster

[quote=”WDHewson” post=42616]Eric:

Agreed that was an informative video.

Do you have an opinion why cat-converters go bad? Bad fuel. Wear out? Overcooked?[/quote]

Much of what you mentioned but misfires I think would be the main thing that causes them to fail.

Keymaster

That’s politics not auto repair. I’d rather stick to auto repair, it’s less complicated.

Keymaster

[quote=”jthomsonmain” post=42642]Awesome video Eric! I have also seen a cat clog up causing poor engine performance and excess heat built up before the cat (enough to make them glow!). Also, I thought I would share my experiences with cleaning cats. I have done it, and it did work for about a month. From my experiences, you are just postponing the inevitable.[/quote]

I was actually thinking about attempting a cleaning on the Subaru’s cats just to see how effective it was. Thanks for your input.

Lee CopeLee Cope
                              Participant

Hi From England,

first off can i say i love the videos,

i have a P0420 error on my Citroen c4 1.6 16v petrol, my local mechanic changed the Pre-cat sensor and after 2 days the error has returned, is it likely that the Cat will need changing? said mechanic has said that the ECU might be the fault if the sensor is still reporting as not working, but from your video i have deduced that maybe the sensor was never the fault. car runs fine i just get the error light and Depollution fault on the on screen display (generic fault message apparently) any advice would be sweet

LeeCope3

Keymaster

[quote=”Leecope3″ post=89389]Hi From England,

first off can i say i love the videos,

i have a P0420 error on my Citroen c4 1.6 16v petrol, my local mechanic changed the Pre-cat sensor and after 2 days the error has returned, is it likely that the Cat will need changing? said mechanic has said that the ECU might be the fault if the sensor is still reporting as not working, but from your video i have deduced that maybe the sensor was never the fault. car runs fine i just get the error light and Depollution fault on the on screen display (generic fault message apparently) any advice would be sweet

LeeCope3[/quote]

As stated in the video a P0420 is hardly ever set by a bad O2 sensor. If you have a P0420 I would suggest following the steps in the video to confirm that you indeed have a catalytic converter failure. That said, I believe you can ‘clean’ them if they aren’t damaged by soaking them in soap and water. If you’d like to discuss this further, please post a thread about it in the ‘Service and Repair” section and we’ll see if we can help you sort that out.

kevin gosselinkevin gosselin
                                  Participant

Failure to converter happen from mixture richer than normal. Some factory converter are really weak and give no rooms for let’s say heavy misfire over a short period of time (ford is a good example).

Failure can be as obvious as ignition misfire, or injector failure, any mechanical issue that would leave unburned or raw fuel going in the cat

Failure can also be from a dirty MAF that would change your fuel trim on the positive side without triggering a Engine Code. I start to see that a lot from GM vehicle that always have new air filter but don’t get the MAF cleaned and then comes tune up time (let say over 100’000km) the cat fail without having any symptoms prior to it. Some people don’t see the need to service those as they think it’s a electronic device it works or doesn’t, there is no such benefit to clean it.

I believe the new kind and tougher to diagnose failure will come with new type of fuel that include alcohol and now the stochiometric value is alter just a bit as it is on the lean side. so then, their is unnecessary enrichment from the O2 sensor, but there is nothing you can really do, as it is a engineer problem, they are coming with different strategy to adapt an recognize the alcohol content. The only solution will be computer update for dealer engineer as they are in a time crush to release a vehicle with no flaw.

Ending, converter fail from richer mixture

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…