Menu

Home garage lifts

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Tool Talk Home garage lifts

• Creator
    Topic
    Rick Crandallcrandall
    Participant

I am enclosing my carport and adding a stall and thinking about improving my lift capabilities. Right now, I just use jack stands, but would like to find an inexpensive option for getting more heighth.

I have seen scissor lifts, 2 post and 4 post lifts advertised. Any thoughts on what would work best? Any companies to stay away from?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Sang Kimskim3544
      Participant

I like 2 post lift. The lift arms comes out from sides, leaving the center of the car wide open – this makes working on transmission, suspension parts easier.

619DioFan619DioFan
        Participant

When it comes to lifts you need to decide what you are looking to use it for. if you just need some extra higth for brake jobs and oil changes a scissor lift will work well. if you plan on doing things like trannies and clutches then an above ground will be a great friend, four post lifts are safer then two post but make doing brake work and suspension work harder then a two post. some things to consider –

ceiling heigth – probably need at least 12 feet ( I have seen short two post lifts that will work with lower ceilings but the lift heigth will be less )

power – most are electric over hydraulic so a 220 power supply will be needed

mounting – a substantial concrete slab is critical. I would think at least a 6 inch thick slab ( poss 8 inch thick especially for a two post ) I would definantly have a company install it.

I see used lifts for sale in my area all the time for around 1,000 dollars. bend pac is a good quality company.

Kelly KenserKelly Kenser
          Participant

[quote=”crandall” post=35902]I am enclosing my carport and adding a stall and thinking about improving my lift capabilities. Right now, I just use jack stands, but would like to find an inexpensive option for getting more heighth.

I have seen scissor lifts, 2 post and 4 post lifts advertised. Any thoughts on what would work best? Any companies to stay away from?[/quote]

I bought a 2 post lift extra wide and 9000 pound lift from Greg Smith Equipment for about $2400 in 2010. Shipping prices have gone up and everything costs more to have it shipped to a remote area like where I live in South Dakota. I placed in a machine shed with a 11′ ceiling. I can not lift a vehicle to it’s full height, but that is okay. I sit on a wheeled stool which is easier on my back. You need either a 6″ or 8″ thick concrete minimum where the lift is secured. I made an area 4′ by 22′ x 6″ (like a footing) deep in the area where the lift was secured. The rest of my slab was 4″. The lift came in pieces and was easily set up with a small tractor with a frontend loader and one other person. You can do it without a tractor but you might need about 4 people to set it up. It also came with the anchors. All I had to do was rent a concrete hammer drill. I use mine all the time. It is a time saver and back saver. I also made adapters so I can also lift motorcycles and lawnmowers. It’s nice to work on things sitting or standing upright. You will also get all sorts of new friends.

Rick Crandallcrandall
            Participant

Thanks for that update on the details on how you pulled that off with the concrete slab reinforcement. This is very helpful.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…