Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • How to add Toyota Corolla 2001 fog lights & swith

How to add Toyota Corolla 2001 fog lights & swith

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Repair Central-The ‘How To’ Forum How to add Toyota Corolla 2001 fog lights & swith

• Creator
    Topic
    MathieuMathieu
    Participant

The factory setup is:

Tail lights must be turned on to turn on fog lights.
      Fog lights will be turned off when you turn on high beam.

Toyota corolla 01 S should have fog lights standard from factory. Fog lights should be easily installed on any 01 or 02 as they are already wired for them.

FWIW I also retrofitted 01 factory fogs into my 99 which never had fogs even as an option.

In conclusion, OP is either looking at an S with factory fogs but has electrical problems, or he has a one without factory fogs and the aftermarket installer botched the installation, which shouldn’t need to happen if he indeed has an S.

On Toyota Corolla 2001 is pre-wire to receive the fog light. The car dealer add this in the garage as an optional equipment. So the car have all the wires installs to receive these. You need to add electrical component to complete the circuit to be able to light up your fog light you have found on Ebay or elsewhere. You need to buy TWO fog relay like this one

These 2 relays (2) side by side is located behind the kick panel. This will permit to close and open the circuit to get electricity to your fog lights.

You need also to buy whit the new fog light on Ebay the swith you insert beside the hand brake. Because beside the dimer head light (the light arm) you have a spot for coins if you did not install in factory the electric mirors. I know you can add yourself like the electric windows, but you need to salvage a old car whit electric mirrors or doors whit electric windows switchs. But It’s an another topics.

To prove the tutorial, I put the wiring schematic to help you to understand the principle and the wire colors use in the DRL (Daytime Running Light relay) as show in the last picture below. The 2 first picture are the wire form the Tyota corolla 2004. The last wire schematic is the corolla 2001 that not include the fog light in detail.

The 2 Toyota Corolla 2004 wiring schematic

The Toyota Corolla 2001 wiring schematic

You pin out the wire from the socket and integer the switch wire whit the wire you pull out. It’s better to this way. You can pull out the insulation rubber and tape It on the wire. But It’s could be tricky to tape the wire after. The principle is the current from the negative White wire (w) ,seen on the wire schematic above, are going to let the electricity flow in the wire that control the relay you add. Then, this relay will flow electricity from a bigger wire in the engine compartment and light up your fog light on demand.

The same Toyota Corolla 2001 have diferent DRL wires. I make sure what the green wire mean. On the 2001 schematic, It’s wrote exterior light. This mean only the fog light if all the turn signals are already on the wire schematic. To be good, It’s white/black and green. The 2 black/white wire seen on the picture I made, have the same purpose. to activate a relay.I will buy some wire clip to fix the switch wire to the DRL wire to let the current activate the relay. But in real life, the green wire is not on the DRL. So I examined the picture whit the relay on It. I found the orange/white and white black on this relay and the fog light wires.

You can also fix the switch on white/orange and the white/black wire. With this method, the white/red wire power the dimer. So you will have the same setting as the factory fog light. (white before the red mean the background is white and the red is a line)

To avoid all this thing, you can just buy the get a dimmer turn signal switch at http://www.rockauto.com/ part number 8414002080

The Toyota Corolla 2001 CE DRL switch

You better to use 2 3M Scotchlok electrical gauge 18 to connect the switch wire and the relay wire together.

Note : You can buy the at http://www.rockauto.com for 120 US$. Less time consuming that wire the DRL relay. Turn signal switch list at Rock Auto

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
    Loading…