Menu

What I Love About Cars

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge ETCG1 Video Discussions What I Love About Cars

• Creator
    Topic
    EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
    Keymaster

I think we all got inspired about cars at some point. I guess it’s what we did with that later in life that makes us, ‘car guys’ or ‘car girls’.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      DevDev
      Participant

I really hope you are wrong about there being less of us who like cars the way the previous generation does. Jeremy Clarkson says the same thing in his “Endangered Species” video for Forza. YouTube link for this video. It brings a tear to my eye.

Timothy EarnhardtTimothy Earnhardt
        Participant

Its sad but I totally agree with you Eric. The passion for cars is dying off, when I was in high school a couple of years ago there were only a handful of true car enthusiasts there. With this new era of having everything done for you, and all of these other distractions now, no one wants to tinker with there cars anymore and its sad. I fear that my generation may be one of that last that has true car enthusiast anymore.

MikeMike
          Participant

People, in general, are becoming less and less knowledgeable about the technology they use. They know enough to use the technology, but next to nothing about how and why it works. Most of the blame rests on the technology itself. Most of it is disposable, so there’s really no incentive to understand it because you toss it and replace it instead of fixing it. When was the last time you saw a TV repair man?

While vehicles are somewhat less disposable, the increasing complexity of them makes them more and more daunting to fix in your driveway, and it’s a lot less hassle to take your modern shrink-wrapped digitized horror to a shop. So, technical awareness and the desire to fix things yourself are becoming rare personal attributes. It’s “progress”, and where it leads is where we find ourselves, even if it isn’t where we want to be.

In spite of today’s wonderful safety and convenience features, modern vehicles leave me cold, and I seriously doubt I’ll ever buy another new one. When the time comes, I’ll be shopping for some simpler and older POS with a more “human” level of engineering which I would actually enjoy working on.

Ray PierceRay Pierce
            Participant

I agree with you some what. Yes less ppl are willing to tinker these days. But I think it has to do with the cars. I too had a 72 Ford Product (Thunderbird) it had a 429. It was the one that started me on this path. Not really sure where I’m going with this.. The cars today are a little more harder to actually “make your own” than they were from years past. Yes if you get the right vehicle, there are body kits, and interrier mods you can make. But unless you get the proper trade schooling. It’s very difficult, to nearly impossible to modify the power train of a modern car. And keep it in a daily drive-able condition. Esp if your in a strict emission state.

What saddens me the most is that young people today don’t understand what the vehicle gives them. When we were young, we used the car as a meas to be social. Today, kids don’t need it. They have the internet to take them to a friends house. More and more kids arn’t getting their licences until they are require to get them selves to school or a job. And on top of all that (a big complaint of mine) modern cars are removing proper driving skills a little bit each time a new “bell and whistle” is added to a car. Case in point … Back up cameras… ppl with those are not turning their head backwards to see whats behind them. They look down at their dash. Auto head lamps… When it’s foggy out more and more ppl aren’t turning on their head lamps,..cause they aren’t used to doing it manually. The light sensor thinks it’s enough daylight to keep the lights off.

So what do I like about cars? What other single item incorporates nearly every house system in one “box”? Electrical, plumping, HVAC, Noise, and comfort. By becoming a master Tech one basically covers all systems of a house,.. and make it mobile. The science to make everything work is amazing. The explosions of the engine, the exchange of temperature from the cooling system. The absorption of heat in the A/C. The mechanical advantage of the brake system. Everything in a car is a magic of possiblity made true by science and technology.
              ok I’m off my soap box.

Lee AnnLee Ann

As long as our parent’s generation (Baby Boomers) shared their love for classic cars/projects with their sons and daughters, there will be a generation of people (like me) returning to their roots…a type of re-birth of car enthusiasts/hobbyists. I hesitate to use the word hobby because truly it is an integral part of our being, as car gals and car guys. So, If we want to preserve our way of life, we have an obligation to pass down our traditions to our sons and daughters…or become a mentor.

Be the change you want to see.

Just my .02

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                Keymaster

Thanks everyone for your input. I agree that part of the problem is the vehicles been produced today. Not much room for modification, but I think with a little imagination and drive, something new and interesting will come to the world of vehicle enthusiasts. At least that’s my hope.

MathieuMathieu
                  Participant

Hey everyone how’s it going? Eric you remind me allot of myself when you’re talking about yourself. I also had a vehicle before i could drive and loved making it right before i could get my license. I just got done high school and I’m not sure why I’m going in the path i am but i think allot persuasion from parent and family are bringing me somewhat where i don’t want to go. I’m currently enrolled and set to start college in september for computer security. Not really what i want to do i always loved working on cars. I am the backyard mechanic of my family. You taught me allot and gave me allot of tricks for repairing vehicles and without any real previous training replace basicly everything you can replace without a hoist on a vehicle lol Loved every second of it. But now is to decide were to start i already have a good feeling I’m not going to like what I’m going in so once I’m done my first year i will most likely go in the mechanic field. Not exacly sure were to start off but i hope the decisions i make bring to were I’m happy. Great video Eric love your content.

MikeMike
                    Participant

What I love about cars…

Many things, really. And some are loved for different reasons than others. But the one great love I have for all of them is the feeling of being in control of a machine I understand intimately. At that level, the machine is a functional extension of the self.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    Loading…