Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 2003 Nissan Sentra Gets New Tires- FiF

2003 Nissan Sentra Gets New Tires- FiF

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge The EricTheCarGuy Video Forum 2003 Nissan Sentra Gets New Tires- FiF

• Creator
    Topic
    EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
    Keymaster

Nothing makes me happier than putting new tires on a vehicle. For those of you that have watched my show for a while, you know I love new tires. I think this addition to Jerry’s car is going to be one of the most significant.

This is also the first video where I take the car out for a drive after the timing chain and the rest of the work I did.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      BrianBrian
      Participant

Evening ETCG
        I am new here and find your videos surprisingly addictive to watch even the ones on cars I can guarantee I will never touch on my own time………such as this Nissan Sentra. I pick up on many minute details that I will incorporate into my “hobbiest” obsession with working on my own vehicles. I do have a point to this, its a suggestion for a follow-on/future video in this Sentra series on the subject of the “tanning” of the internals of the engine in its used/dark oil coloration. What is your take here? Oil not changed enough? Lack of detergent oil use? Engine run hard/hot maybe? In this particular case it was just tanned and not much appeared in the way of sludge. More detail: Full disclosure, I worked as an automotive machinist in the late 80s, before the crate motor explosion and would always pay attention to the tanning and sludge the incoming motors had. I am just parroting what was told to me in that era here but the worst ones were blamed on Pennzoil and Quaker State and that Valvoline didn’t have these problems. I have been a Valvoline (conventional) user to this day because of that (for the most part, I do have a few “specialty” cars that get different treatment) and can at least attest that my results have been clean internals (most recently, the oil pan was dropped on the family 2005 Stratus grocery getter that is just shy of 200k and it looks good inside! (had to fix the leaking pan seals…….kind of an epidemic on this motor……oil leaks that is). My thoughts are that I use Valvoline and change it religiously at 3k or so intervals, that’s why my internals looked clean and not tanned/sludged. Thoughts? Oh, and do you even care that the internals are tanned dark? Does it tell you that proper care is amiss or do you see this look as expected/normal? Thanks for your monumental efforts in sharing your knowledge. – Brian

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
        Keymaster

[quote=”Cjaghblb” post=162725]Evening ETCG
          I am new here and find your videos surprisingly addictive to watch even the ones on cars I can guarantee I will never touch on my own time………such as this Nissan Sentra. I pick up on many minute details that I will incorporate into my “hobbiest” obsession with working on my own vehicles. I do have a point to this, its a suggestion for a follow-on/future video in this Sentra series on the subject of the “tanning” of the internals of the engine in its used/dark oil coloration. What is your take here? Oil not changed enough? Lack of detergent oil use? Engine run hard/hot maybe? In this particular case it was just tanned and not much appeared in the way of sludge. More detail: Full disclosure, I worked as an automotive machinist in the late 80s, before the crate motor explosion and would always pay attention to the tanning and sludge the incoming motors had. I am just parroting what was told to me in that era here but the worst ones were blamed on Pennzoil and Quaker State and that Valvoline didn’t have these problems. I have been a Valvoline (conventional) user to this day because of that (for the most part, I do have a few “specialty” cars that get different treatment) and can at least attest that my results have been clean internals (most recently, the oil pan was dropped on the family 2005 Stratus grocery getter that is just shy of 200k and it looks good inside! (had to fix the leaking pan seals…….kind of an epidemic on this motor……oil leaks that is). My thoughts are that I use Valvoline and change it religiously at 3k or so intervals, that’s why my internals looked clean and not tanned/sludged. Thoughts? Oh, and do you even care that the internals are tanned dark? Does it tell you that proper care is amiss or do you see this look as expected/normal? Thanks for your monumental efforts in sharing your knowledge. – Brian[/quote]

Good question, and thanks for watching.

In my opinion, it was lack of oil changes with the Nissan.

I’ve also heard the same thing about Pennzoil. From what I understand, the oil was from Pennsylvania which contained a high paraffin content. Many ‘old timers’ I spoke with would talk about this very thing. That said, modern engines have much better tolerances and the 3K oil change is a thing of the past. I say you can go 4-5 easy with no problems. 8-10 with synthetic. I also made this video a while back on the subject. Thanks for your input.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…