Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Synchro Rings in a Manual Transmission

Synchro Rings in a Manual Transmission

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge General Discussion Synchro Rings in a Manual Transmission

• Creator
    Topic
    Mark TebbMark Tebb
    Participant

Hi there. I have a question about how how the Synchro rings work in a manual transmission. I understand how once the the synchro ring has clutched with the gear cone, that the speeds of the output shaft and the lay shaft now synchronise. I also understand that the Synchromesh slider at this point can slide and engage with the dog teeth slots on the gear. I just don’t get how the synchro ring teeth are always aligned with the dog teeth on the gear at synchronisation. Would they sometimes not randomly be mis-aligned at synchronisation? And if so, the slider teeth would have to slightly move the dog teeth/gear to the left or right to allow it to slot in fully; but how can the gear rotate to allow this since it is locked to the synchro ring?

Note sure if that all made sense but appreciate anyone’s comments and help on this!!

Thanks
      Mark.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      CarlosCarlos
      Participant

Blocking Ring,Synchronizer Ring, and Stop Ring means the same thing. Speed gear could be first or second gear all the way to six gear.

The shifter fork fits into the groove of the shift collar sleeve.

When a shift is made, the sleeve is moved toward the speed gear.

The sleeve presses the stop ring(synchronizer ring) against the cone area of the speed gear.

The friction between the stop ring and the speed gear causes the speed of the two to become equal, permitting the sleeve to engage the gear clutch teeth of the speed gear. When this engagement occurs, the shift is complete.

Synchronizer keys are attached to the clutch hub and push against the synchronizer ring when the sleeve is being moved during a shift.

Notice the grooves on the synchronizer ring. These grooves prevent lubricating oil from becoming trapped between the ring and the cone surface of the speed gear. The grooves also help the ring release from the cone surface when a shift is made out of a gear.

I found a great tech manual that will explain this in more. detail.http://www.hoerbiger.com/upload/file/2013_basicsofsynchronizers.pdf

This is a great video on how synchronizer work. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgmxydwmtTg

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Loading…