Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • difference between power steering fluid and ATF

difference between power steering fluid and ATF

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge General Discussion difference between power steering fluid and ATF

• Creator
    Topic
    ChadChad
    Participant

Anybody have any insight to the differences between power steering fluid vs automatic transmission fluid? smells the same looks the same feels the same works the same in my opinion cant tell a difference. I think power steering fluid is just dexron III dyed another color (sometimes) in a different bottle with an inflated price . Any thoughts on this? feel free to comment- have a good day! B)

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      zerozero
      Participant

Depending on the application, it may be the same thing. Although most manufacturers recommend their own specific ATF fluid for power steering. ATF is essentially hydraulic fluid, P/S fluid is also Hydraulic fluid. If it’s red, it’s the manufacturers specific ATF at least 9/10.

GM and Honda are the only 2 makes that do not use ATF I can think of off the top of my head. Although I have seen a few GMs from 2010ish with hydraulic power steering that spec ATF. While ATF would work in an emergency, I wouldn’t recommend it for any longer than is absolutely needed in applications where it is not the specified fluid.

RickRick
        Participant

Honda has EPS, and liquid power steering. They use a specialized fluid. Some manufacturers use regular engine oil in manual transmissions. If I remember correctly Hyundai uses a specific type of trans oil for their transmissions, rear diff fluids also vary.

Personally I go with what ever the manuf recommends. Brake fluid is the only thing I will buy that’s universal. Coolant, PS, trans fluids I go by OEM specs.

dandan

and usually brake fluid is eithe DOT-3 and DOT-4 hardly is it ever DOT-5 or DOT-5.1

ChadChad
            Participant

Okay sweet! Thank you that makes sense now. This pertains to a 99 jeep grand cherokee 4.7L V8 engine, cap says power steering fluid but i just changed the power steering pressure line and filled it with atf +4 with no problems so far. Is this bad in the long run? Its my daily driver.

zerozero
              Participant

It’s a Chrysler, ATF+4 is the proper fluid for the application.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Loading…