Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Overfilled automatic transmission fluid

Overfilled automatic transmission fluid

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Maintenance Forums Overfilled automatic transmission fluid

• This topic has 9 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by DaveDave.
  • Creator
    Topic
    DaveDave
    Participant

Hello, I have a 2003 Honda Civic. I replaced the Automatic Transmission Fluid 6 months ago and I overfilled it. It is 1/4 inch higher than the max on the dip stick. Since it is not an easy task to remove that excess could you please tell me if it is a problem to leave it as is? Does that could create any damage to the transmission?
      thank you very much!

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      James O'HaraJames O’Hara
      Participant

could produce excessive pressure on seals. Normally there is a drain bolt just loosen it , but do not remove it all the way. till it starts to trickle measure it in a clean painters cup at 1/4 quart tighten the plug back up. Recheck level after waiting 20 mins.

I dunno about that being hard to access the plug. You could aim for 1/2 a quart but, that might be a lil too much though if its a clean container u can use what you had trickle out to refill to proper level.

Just be careful and slowly spin the plug stopping every 1/8 turn for 20 Mississippi. Its how all techs fix overfill problems.Cause it is easy to make a mistake or not account for a torque converter etc. Once u see any fluid turn in much smaller increments

DaveDave
        Participant

Thank you very much for the helpful information!!
          have a great day!

DaveDave
          Participant

Done, I removed a bit less than 1/2 quart. Thanks again for the helpful information.

I am suprise to see that the fluid is quite dark (I did one flush 6 monts ago, I know it took me a lot of time to fix the overfilled situation). Is it normal or the overfilled situation could have ruine the fluid?

One last thing, I noticed that the housing assembly joint of the transmission is a bit wet all peremeter. It is like the fluid under pressure started to leak slowly. I hope it will stop now that I got the correct level.
            Any input would be highly appreciated. Best regards,

James O'HaraJames O’Hara
            Participant

Unless you drained the torque converter you did not drain all the fluid out of your transmission. Torque converters hold a lot of fluid so this is more then likely why it is incredibly dark. other things like towing items can be really hard on transmissions. Having the automatic shift then jamming on the gas is another thing that can cause excessive wear. Also does it smell burnt? Do you have a transmission cooler how clean are the fins for it etc Since you are draining at the bottom you might just be getting all the junk.. There are a lot of factors at play it isn’t just oh its dark or black it is this.

Also some trans fluids change color once they have been exposed to heat.

zerozero
              Participant

Servicing the fluid in a Honda transmission by opening the drain plug only nets you about 1/4 of the total fluid capacity. once the fluid gets dark it will take several changes to get the fluid to a clean condition again. You’re basically going to have to change it 4 or 5 more times doing the drain and fill method to get a “complete” fluid change.

Transmission fluid leaks are actually relatively easy to find as the source of the leak is usually clean. Basically you have to find the highest point of the leak and start there. Given the age I would be suspect of the seals around the valve cover and cylinder head area.

DaveDave
                Participant

I did not tow any thing, I do not have transmission cooler. The fluid smell the same as a fresh new bottle. Thanks again for the infomation.

DaveDave
                  Participant

Not sure to understand what you mean by “the source of the leak is usually clean”. Do you mean that there is no other part in front of the leaking area?

With your experience, do you think that the leak will stop now that the pressure is back to nomal?
                    Thanks, Best regards,

James O'HaraJames O’Hara
                    Participant

50/50 shot on it slowing or stopping. Normally though once its started it isn’t going to stop.

What he means is where the fluid runs from a leak it normally cleans the dirt off because of the number of detergents in ATF fluid. So there will be a cleaner line where the ATF is coming out. As with all leaks find the highest point and that is normally where the leak is at. AKA if it was a coolant leak it could be dripping at the bottom of the radiator but, leaking at a heater core line running to the radiator and running down and dripping off the bottom. So follow the clean spot/fluid to where it originates aka the highest spot because until we get anti gravity on cars all fluids obey gravity.

DaveDave
                      Participant

I got it. Thanks,

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      Loading…