Menu

99 Dodge Dakota Stalling in reverse

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 99 Dodge Dakota Stalling in reverse

• Creator
    Topic
    Donald BerginDonald Bergin
    Participant

I have a 99 Dodge Dakota 318,runs great 120,000 miles,Automatic,but as of the past few weeks when I put it in reverse it will stall,if I give it a little throttle its fine,but it is not right.
      Thanks for help

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      CharlesCharles
      Participant

Make sure your motor mounts are OK. Had an old chevy that would floor the accelerator when I gave a little too much gas in reverse. You should be able to check by watching the engine with the hood up while you give it gas in reverse while holding the brake.

newyotanewyota
        Participant

Had a similar issue on a Ford Bronco.When I would put in reverse to back into a parking spot and turning wheels it would stall.Stumped me for awhile and then I felt it could be the power steering pump straining the engine since it seemed to make alittle noise.I replaced the pump and it was much quieter and it solved the problem.Did not think it would fix problem, but I guess it was straining the engine.Never stalled again after backing up.

college mancollege man

If the truck is warmed up.will it stall if put in reverse?

dreamer2355dreamer2355
            Participant

I would also recommend the ‘wiggle test’ of the engine bay wiring harness while the vehicle is running in park to see if that will recreate the issue.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
              Keymaster

Do you nave any CEL’s on? If not you may want to check the body grounds, when you put the transmission in reverse it torques the engine in a different direction which may cause a loose connection to open which might cause it to stall. I was also thinking that if the computer wasn’t getting a signal that you had selected reverse that it would not raise the idle to accommodate the extra load of the transmission. This could be due to a misadjusted PRNDL switch OR a problem with the wiring somewhere.

Participant

Thank you for the responses.
                  Yes the truck is warmed when this is happening.
                  I went for a 4 hr ride yesterday,put some fuel injection fliud in,running good. This morning it stalled while stopping for a school bus,I’m afaird one of these times it wont start.
                  Cel on as in cell phone yes I do. I will have to check the ground wires for loose connection.
                  I’ll keep you posted
                  Thanks

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                  Keymaster

CEL as in Check Engine Light. Sorry I try to save typing whenever I can. Now that I think about it do you know what RPM your idle is at?

Participant

Oh,LOL No Check engine lights are on,I will have to pay attention to the RPM and see what it is running at.Thanks i will get back to you

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    Loading…