Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 2003 Dodge Dakota Stalling in Reverse

2003 Dodge Dakota Stalling in Reverse

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2003 Dodge Dakota Stalling in Reverse

• Creator
    Topic
    DanDan
    Participant

My roommate bought a 2003 Dodge Dakota, automatic trans, 4WD.

When the truck gets put into reverse the car immediately stalls out. There are times when it doesn’t stall out too. However, it is totally random when it happens, I haven’t been able to notice consistent conditions that cause the stall.

Everything else is fine with the truck. It shifts through all the gears smoothly, there’s no hesitation when accelerating and it idles just fine. No DTC’s.

Had anyone encountered this before? Or have any suggestions?

Thanks

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      college mancollege man

what I’ve read is that you could either have a
        torque convertor problem or the transmission
        filter is clogging. I believe a transmission
        shop is needed.

DanielDaniel
        Participant

Do you typically drive the truck with it in four wheel drive? So far it sounds like ether a transmission or transfer case problem. I doubt it is a problem with the torque converter because you would have issues in drive as well. Remember the torque converter spins the same way whether you are in drive or reverse.

DanDan
          Participant

The truck was purchased yesterday and I haven’t had the chance to see how it behaves in 4WD. I did notice that if I give it gas in reverse to keep the RPMs up, it bucks hard and stalls out. If I don’t give it gas, it stalls out more quietly. So to summarize the facts:

1. The truck stalls out sporadically when put into reverse
            2. All other gears are fine, no hesitation or rough idle
            3. Gas while in reverse makes the stalling worse
            4. Behavior in 4WD is unknown
            5. No DTC’s

DanielDaniel
            Participant

If you can, try putting the transfer case into neutral (with the 4 wheel drive shift knob). Then shift your transmission into reverse and let us know what happens.

DanDan
              Participant

What am I looking out for when its in neutral?

Also, found a code in obd (despite no check engine light) for a large evap leak p0455. I don’t see how this would affect reverse though

college mancollege man

when the vehicle is put in reverse the output pressure
                  is doubled.If the torque converter locks up.it puts alot
                  of torque on the engine which causes the stall.take it to
                  a trans shop for a evaluation. keep us posted.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                  Keymaster

[quote=”college man” post=41569]when the vehicle is put in reverse the output pressure
                    is doubled.If the torque converter locks up.it puts alot
                    of torque on the engine which causes the stall.take it to
                    a trans shop for a evaluation. keep us posted.[/quote]

Not exactly from what I understand. They don’t put a converter into lock up unless you’re moving, if they did when you put it into reverse it would stall the engine, just like if you dumped your clutch without giving it gas. That is if we’re talking about the same thing in regards to ‘lock up’. Also I’m not so sure that output pressure is doubled. The only thing that should happen is the engagement of the low/reverse band and that’s about it from what I understand.

That said as to the problem at hand, what’s the idle like? Is it low to begin with? Does the ‘R’ light light up when you put it into gear? If not the computer may not be getting the signal to raise the idle when you’ve put it into gear. If that happens you’ll stay at base idle and when the truck is put into reverse the engine will die because the idle wasn’t commanded to come up due to the extra load.

drewdrew
                    Participant

So i am wondering if this problem was figured out cause i am having the same problem with my 2003 dodge dakota 4×4 only that mine when i switch gears the rpms drop low doesnt stall but goes low and it randomly stalls in reverse. As far as my 4 wheel drive when it is engaged it kinda souns like a wind up car very electric whinny noise any help would be great i was already thinking of changing my trans fluid and filter would that help

RickRick
                      Participant

What engine do you guys have? (The tranny depends on the engine– some are full electronic and some are mechanical/part electronic.)

drewdrew
                        Participant

Sorry i have the 3.9 v6 forgot to mention that

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        Loading…