Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Fuel injector cleaning as regular maintenance ??

Fuel injector cleaning as regular maintenance ??

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Fuel injector cleaning as regular maintenance ??

• Creator
    Topic
    GordGord
    Participant

I know it’s possible and I know there may be times when it’s needed, but should I have the injectors cleaned on a gas engine on a regular basis? The ‘lube shops’ seem to think it’s required but I can’t find any mention of needing it done in the maintenance schedule of any of our vehicles… Ford, Dodge, Honda.

So what’s the consensus? Should it be done regularly or is it just a cash grab?

Kind regards.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      PengyPengy
      Participant

To me, its just a cash grab, and may cause more harm than good if overused because your engine would have to burn the “cleaners” and it usually forms deposits on your spark plugs or valves, causing the performance to slowly degrade.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
        Keymaster

I agree, it’s not really a ‘maintenance’ item. In fact I wouldn’t do it unless there’s an issue. Think about it. Gas is a solvent, it should be self cleaning. Perhaps once you pass the 100K mark then you might want to do it for good measure but the truth is you’re actually cleaning the deposits off of the intake valves more than the injectors themselves.

Tri9SSTri9SS
          Participant

I feel like the others, with one other thing in mind. I feel if I put something in the fuel tank to break up deposits I also first would put new fuel filter in, that way it does not dissolve stuff the filter might be trapping. If running fine I stay away from those items.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…