Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 1989 Bonneville SE back doors wont open

1989 Bonneville SE back doors wont open

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 1989 Bonneville SE back doors wont open

• Creator
    Topic
    Vance MeeksVance Meeks
    Participant

I have an issue with my 89 SE. It sat for awhile before I got to it, When I first started messing with the car the right back door wouldn’t open. Then I started playing with the auto locks to free them cause they are sticking a little. Now both back doors wont open inside or out. The lock switches seem stuck a little and the doors are going nowhere. Help!

Attachments:
    Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      college mancollege man
        CharlesCharles
        Participant

Hate to ask but do you have the child safety locks activated? Had an 89 Electra, think I remember a similar problem. Have a helper hold up on the unlock lever (pushing up) and pull hard from the outside. If you get it open, remove the door panel and lube all the moving parts with white lithium grease.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
          Keymaster

That is a tough one and it’s going to take a bit of work. One thing that might help is to remove all the seats. One thing that gets in the way when you do this would be the back seat. To get to the back seat taking out the front seats would make things easier. Also, NEVER activate those child locks. I see this a lot when those are activated. Keep us posted on your progress.

Vance MeeksVance Meeks
            Participant

The child locks are not on I know that for a fact. The car sits in Georgetown KY on a piece of land and I live in Cincinnati Ohio (bout a 2 hr or so drive) so I have to free a day or 2 to go down and work on it. I am honestly impressed with this Pontiac, the AC even still works on the thing and it sat in one spot for 3 years. And the only rust is surface and the under side is even clean and solid. Anyway thanks man never though of removing the seats to be honest. Cheers!

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
              Keymaster

Give it time. Vehicles that sit never fair well. In fact it’s better to drive them into the ground than let them sit. I’m hoping it works out for you though as it does sound like a nice car.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Loading…