Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 2002 Toyota Sienna Speed Sensor Location

2002 Toyota Sienna Speed Sensor Location

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2002 Toyota Sienna Speed Sensor Location

• Creator
    Topic
    AE86TruenoAE86Trueno
    Participant

Hello ETCG forum members,
      The speedometer on my 2002 Toyota Sienna CE stopped working today and figured that it could possibly be the speed sensor. Would anyone know where to find it? I have searched the internet and found that it could be located on the transmission or behind the wheel hub near the spindle/knuckle. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. :cheer:

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      A toyotakarlIts me

There is a vehicle speed sensor on the transaxle that provides info to the speedometer/ECU. There are wheel speed sensors that are on the knuckle and provide each wheel’s speed for the ABS system.

The one you are looking for is the one on the transaxle. Before you replace, check your fuses. Has anyone been working near the speed sensor recently?

Look for the wires going down onto the transaxle…. the sensor is held in place by a 10mm bolt and should have a two or three wire plug going to it.

Here is an example off a V6 Camry engine/transmission circled in red….

Karl

AE86TruenoAE86Trueno
        Participant

Hey ToyotaKarl,
          I recently had work done on the van such as changing the starter and having the transmission oil changed (not sure if that helps) but as for the fuses would you know which ones I should look at? I appreciate all your help and expertise. Thank you.

A toyotakarlIts me

Hmmmm… How recent was that starter and transmission work? If your speedometer failure has pretty much coincided with the work you had done, I would highly suspect something might have come loose when doing that work…

All that takes is even for one of those little plugs in the back of the plug to back out a little and the VSS won’t provide the info for the ECU….

As far as fuses, check the ones in the car and under the hood (there can be more there).. look for any fuse that has blown, or out of the ordinary…. First check the ones that are related with the transmission… If in doubt, check them all. A shotgun technique is to use a multimeter with an audible Ohmmeter… Can do a whole fuse box test in about a minute.

Karl!

P.S. Also Tap on your speedometer face as well if you are not getting codes/CEL… I have seen sticky needles!

AE86TruenoAE86Trueno
            Participant

Hey ToyotaKarl, I had the transmission oil changed about a month ago and the starter was changed within the last two weeks. I will check all the fuses as well as make sure the speed sensor is not loose. Thanks again for all your help, I really appreciate it!

college mancollege man

did you get a check engine light.if so what code(s)

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Loading…