Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Valve adjustment problem 03 acura tl type s

Valve adjustment problem 03 acura tl type s

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Valve adjustment problem 03 acura tl type s

• Creator
    Topic
    yongyong
    Participant

After I did my timing belt on 03 Acura tl, it started with a knocking sound. Then I thought maybe is time to do the valve adjustment, too. So I opened it up, and I found out the no1 valve is way to loose. I took the arm out and found out the spring on no 1 valve is way lower than the others. Is that normal? If it’s not how do I fix that?

In the picture below, you can see no 1 valve’s spring is much lower than the other ones. When the arm was on and TDC on no 1, the arm rock back and forward with a huge gap.

Below it’s a video what the sound like when I started the car.
      [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=plgeWko78Ns[/video]

Attachments:
    Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      techhotline7techhotline7
      Participant

Couple questions for you. What was the timing belt replaced for? was there a problem? or was it just maintenance?

If the previous belt had broken, there is a possibility of valve/piston contact (not sure if that motor is an interference motor or not)

If it was just maintenance, I would verify the timing belt was timed correctly. More times then not, just being off one tooth can screw up timing between where the piston is located compared to the valve. The piston may be TDC but the cam is telling the valve to stay open.

Other then that, May have a protruding valve seat but that would be the last on my list.

yongyong
        Participant

It was just for maintenance. I checked the timing belt marks already, they all look good. I will up load some picture of that tomorrow.

yongyong
          Participant

Do you know if the spring on the no 1 is lower than the other ones? I thought all of them are same.

DavidDavid
            Participant

They look compressed to me.
              Turn the motor over by hand and view the way the spring moves.

BillBill
              Participant

If one spring is lower than the rest with the rocker arm removed then somehow you have bent the valve. Did you turn the engine or camshaft(s) with the timing belt removed?

college mancollege man

The #1 springs do look compressed. You would think
                  they should all be the same size.

yongyong
                  Participant

Thanks everyone. So I removed the head and found the EX valve on the no 1 is bent. Ordered the part to replace them. Anything I should watch for when replacing it ?

yongyong
                    Participant

[quote=”wysetech” post=65389]If one spring is lower than the rest with the rocker arm removed then somehow you have bent the valve. Did you turn the engine or camshaft(s) with the timing belt removed?[/quote]

We did turn the engine CW without the belt on, maybe that’s what cause the valves bent?

BillBill
                      Participant

Yeah………make sure your timing marks are lined up before you install the head and don’t turn the engine over without the timing belt on.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      Loading…