Menu

Skoda Fabia light problems

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Skoda Fabia light problems

• Creator
    Topic
    LancerLancer
    Participant

Hello guys!

I have a problem with my wifes car (Skoda Fabia 2006) and maybe you can help.

The first problem i dealed with was the dome light. It did not automatically switch of when all doors are closed. The only way to shut off the light is to put the dome light button to 0.

My first thought was that one of the door switches is bad, but during my further investigation i figured out that the door open warning light on the dash also dont work. Same with the open trunk warning. There is also no warning sound when opening a door with switched on light. It does not matter which door you open or close, there is still no response at all.

I have absolutely no idea where to resume my search and how this problems all fit together. The fuses are all good. I excluded the door switches because i dont think they are all bad at the same time. any ideas?

thanks for help :cheer:

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Gumpy GussGumpy Guss
      Participant

The way those usually work is that there is a wire going to each door switch, and the switch grounds the wire to the chassis to turn on the light.

The most common problem is that the light stays on, because one of the switches has broken and is stuck closed, or that some spot on the wire has chafed and is shorting to the chassis.

Try this– turn the dome light switch to its setting where it is not always on, but controlled by the open doors. Now while carefully watching the dome light open a door. If the dome light slightly changes in brightness, that tells us that that door switch and the wire going to it are working correctly. Do this with each door. if there is some door where the light does not get slightly brighter, then possibly that switch is stuck closed or the wire to it is chafed and grounded.

This doesn’t always work– if the stuck switch or its wire are very firmly closed or grounded you won’t get much of a discernible change.

It can also be a fault in the dome light switch or the wires going to it.

There are more sophisticated tests possible using very sensitive ohmmeters, but that’s more than we can adequately describe here.

college mancollege man

see if this helps.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
          Keymaster

The fact that all the doors seem to be effected probably means the door switches are OK. You may have a control unit or something that’s having an problem. I think your best bet is to get your hands on a wiring diagram for that circuit and see if there’s anything central to all the doors. I suspect you might find a body control unit or something. This article might also help with your diagnosis.

http://www.ericthecarguy.com/faq/solving-automotive-electrical-problems

LancerLancer
            Participant

First of all thank everybody for helping :kiss:

The problem with the door switches on skoda is that there is no simple testing. They are nicely integrated into the doormechanic. You have to open up the door if you even want to get to one of the switches. But in fact i have already excluded the door switches because i dont think all 4 door switches and the trunk switch died at the same time.

I also thought that there must be a control unit or something like that but unfortunately i cant find any wiring diagram with google. And i think without this diagram iam really fucked up solving this problem

LancerLancer
              Participant

Ok guys its me again. I actually find a good one.

Attachments:
                LancerLancer
                Participant

And heres the one for the instruments.

Attachments:
                  EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                  Keymaster

Part #10 right at the top under ‘interior lighting’, “Electrical system control unit”. Check to see if you have power going to the dome light. If not, then I’d be looking to that control unit. If you do, then I’d be checking that ground at E5.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  Loading…