Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 2000 Ford F150 4×4 4.6 Triton Overheating

2000 Ford F150 4×4 4.6 Triton Overheating

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2000 Ford F150 4×4 4.6 Triton Overheating

• Creator
    Topic
    TylerTyler
    Participant

Hello everyone, I have a 2000 Ford F 150 I bought recently. It is overheating. When you start it up it will run about 3 miles or so before it starts to go to Hot. So far I have checked the thermostat in boiling water and it tested good, intake gaskets are new, no milky oil, fins on the waterpump are like new, ran my garden hose up to the upper hose connection on the radiator and water comes out the lower hose. Not sure what to try next. Open to all suggestions on what you think might be wrong or what to try. Thanks!

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Bryan HallBryan
      Participant

Have you checked the coolant temperature sensor?

I don’t know much about the 4.6 Triton, but three miles seems an awfully short time for it to be overheating in.

When you say the ‘fins’ on the water pump.. do you mean the vanes on the block-side that actually pump the water? Those are ok? No possibility of them having cavitation damage/rotted away?

Might want to do a leak-down test and block test just to be sure. You can have a bad head gasket and overheat, and still not be mixing oil and coolant.

Just a few random thoughts.. hope they help.

-Hinoki

TylerTyler
        Participant

Hinoki, I have not checked the coolant temp sensor. I will tonight. On the water pump, yes I meant the vanes on the block side, they look like new and still have the curve to them. If the temp sensor is ok I’ll try the leak down and block test. I’ll update when I get those done. Thanks for the help.

college mancollege man

Is the fan a clutch type fan and is it spinning?
            Is the radiator shroud in place? check out this
            link for over heat.

http://www.ericthecarguy.com/faq/what-to-do-when-your-engine-overheats

Dave OlsonDave
            Participant

We just went through something similar at work and it ended up being the head gasket and maybe the head itself haven’t heard from the boss yet. It was our 02′ F250 with a 5.4? It would do the exact same thing overheat real fast.

TylerTyler
              Participant

College man, the fan is a clutch type and is spinning.

TylerTyler
                Participant

Ok, so I put everything back together on the truck, flushed out all the old coolant and bled the system but left the thermostat out and it runs great. Temp Sensor moves up about a quater of the way on the cluster. Drove it about 20 miles on highway and through town stoping at stop lights, never overheated on me. Is it ok to run it this way? I plan to try to find a lower temp like a 160oF thermostat tomorrow and put it in and try it. Maybe I just had air in the system?? Im hoping that with the thermostat it still stays cool and doesnt overheat. Will let you all know. Thanks for the help!

exceptionalchrisexceptionalchris
                  Participant

sounds like the thermostat, replace it and see how it goes. they are typically 10 dollars or so. then let us know how it goes.

CrisCris
                    Participant

Either thermostat or had major air in the system

BillBill
                      Participant

I would replace the thermostat with the correct one for your truck. Most everything that your PCM controls depends on seeing correct operating temp before it can do proper fuel calculations and system monitors to run. That means 160f is too cold.

TylerTyler
                        Participant

Found a coolant leak coming from the passenger side frost plug. Would this allow air to come into the system?

Kevin CriswellKevin Criswell
                          Participant

Any coolant leak could lead to cooling system problems.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                            Keymaster

The FIRST thing to check with any overheat is for air in the system. After that check for leaks. More info in this article.

http://www.ericthecarguy.com/faq/what-to-do-when-your-engine-overheats

Yes, any leaks will allow air into the system and I suspect that was the case with your freeze plug leak.Lastly, it’s a good idea to use OE thermostats. They’re usually made better and as a result work better. Engine temperature is everything when it comes to a fuel injected engine. You should never run without a thermostat for that very reason. Good luck and let us know how things work out for you.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            Loading…