Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 2004 honda civic EX vtec problem–P2646

2004 honda civic EX vtec problem–P2646

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2004 honda civic EX vtec problem–P2646

• Creator
    Topic
    jasonjason
    Participant

Hello all and thank you in advance for your help.
      I have a 2004 Honda Civic EX, 1.7 l engine, 110k miles.
      the check engine light is on, code is P2646, which indicates a vtec malfunction. The car wont rev pass 4k rpm. I replaced both vtec selinoid and pressure switch. Also did an oil change with filter. Drove the car after repair. The vtec engaged normally. 20 minutes later code P2646 came back again and now the car wont rev pass 4k rpm. Really confused here.
      please help. Thanks

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Mitch MMitch M
      Participant

Did you replace the whole VTEC solenoid valve assembly? First thing that comes to my mind is to give the the filter ( B ) in this a really really good cleaning, and also the inside of the valve assembly. I have seen a simple filter cleaning take care of the job many times in the past.

If this doesn’t help, I would then trace the wires all the way back to the ECM for any kind of shorts. I would also check the voltage and the continuity with the sensor’s plug. Try giving the filter a good cleaning, clear your code and let us know how it works out. If still having problems, I can give you some steps to go through to trace any possible faults in the wiring for the solenoid.

Attachments:
        college mancollege man
          jasonjason
          Participant

So today, I went into the wiring for the vtec pressure switch. The blue wire with black stripe looked good. The brown and yellow wire didnt look right; It had splices all over. I made a video as it is easier to illustrate.

Anyone have access to a wiring diagram?

I brought the car used, so I am thinking the previous owner had some sort of controller there.

Thanks again.

jasonjason
            Participant
              Attachments:
              jasonjason
              Participant

I can take more pictures or videos. Thanks again for all your help.

college mancollege man

Someone was in there. fix all the wiring.
                  keep us posted on your progress. 🙂

Mitch MMitch M
                  Participant

From what I could tell from the wiring diagram, the VTEC solenoid should be a blue wire which then becomes a green/yellow after the connector. This wire then goes straight into B15 on the ECM. If I were you, I would make sure only a single wire goes from the Solenoid Valve to the ECM. Who knows what all those other wires are for.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  Loading…