Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 2003 Lexus LS430 – Sunroof opens while driving

2003 Lexus LS430 – Sunroof opens while driving

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2003 Lexus LS430 – Sunroof opens while driving

• Creator
    Topic
    WillWill
    Participant

Hello,

I just bought a 2003 Lexus LS430 with 100,000 kilometers on it (60k miles).

Recently, the sunroof has started to open on its own while driving. Not too fun as it’s been snowing!

It will open without warning then I will try and work the switch to close it. It won’t respond for a while then it will finally close. I disassembled the overhead switch and tried to clean the contacts, but couldn’t see any corrosion or anything unusual. Now the sunroof switch will not respond at all.

I pulled the fuse in the trunk to disable it so I don’t get any more surprises. However, I’d like to get to the bottom of this myself if at all possible. If someone can step me through troubleshooting this, I’d appreciate it.

I can provide the wiring diagrams if needed.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      college mancollege man

Pull the switch out and ohm the switch out. with the switch
        out. put the fuse back in.see if the sun roof activates. if not
        switch is suspect. The ohm test should verify the switch problem.

WillWill
        Participant

Thanks for helping me out.

The “switch” looks something like a small green printed circuit board, that is attached by a small flat flexible wire to an other connector closer to the ECU for the overhead console.

If I understand correctly (I’m new to this):

1) Pull the switch out.
          2) Put the fuse back in.
          3) Bypass the switch by jumping two of the wires on the flat connector.

I’ll take pictures of what it looks like today or tomorrow when I get time.

Thanks again!

college mancollege man

[quote=”Arcturus” post=87803]Thanks for helping me out.

The “switch” looks something like a small green printed circuit board, that is attached by a small flat flexible wire to an other connector closer to the ECU for the overhead console.

If I understand correctly (I’m new to this):

1) Pull the switch out.
            2) Put the fuse back in.
            3) Bypass the switch by jumping two of the wires on the flat connector.

I’ll take pictures of what it looks like today or tomorrow when I get time.

Thanks again![/quote]

Is this just a switch or is it connected with a dome/map light?
            Disconnect the switch. Put the fuse back in. see if the moonroof
            activates. don’t jump any wires.I don’t want you to hurt anything
            down the line. If you could post a picture of the switch and the wiring
            diagram that would be great.

WillWill
            Participant

I ended up pulling the sunroof fuse and obviously (and thankfully) it has not opened. Unfortunately, I haven’t had time to open up the overhead console yet as I’ve been away on business and vacation, but I now have some more time to devote to this problem. I went away for a week and when I came back the car wouldn’t start. I put the voltmeter on the battery terminals and it read 9.5V. I jumped it and drove it for a week with no problems.

I recently returned from 9 days vacation (just a few hours ago) and the car didn’t respond to the key fob. I put the voltmeter on it and this time it read 3.3V.

Either the battery is wonky or I have a drain somewhere. The battery is a Lexus battery and is from 2011. Does this car have common problems with parasitic drain?

Any recommendations? Guess I’ll look at the battery first. I think I should fix this first before looking at the sunroof as I know these cars are finnicky with low voltages.

A toyotakarlIts me

Watch Eric’s video on Parasitic draws and find out if you have one (sounds like you might)… Also, flaky electronic things may be related… So I would start with finding that parasitic draw… And if your battery is that low, you may need a new one… (may want to make sure your voltmeter has good batteries as well)… 🙂

-Karl

WillWill
                Participant

Okay. Sounds good. Checked the voltmeter with a 9V battery and it reads 9.3V so I think it’s working okay.

First thing then is to check the battery… I’ll take it to a place where I can get it load tested and will be in touch.

Thanks!

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                Loading…