Menu

95 Camry Cooling fans always on

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 95 Camry Cooling fans always on

• Creator
    Topic
    Nathan FielderNathan
    Participant

Hi I have a 1995 Toyota Camry, 2.2L, 4 speed automatic. Just the other day the cooling fans started staying on when the ignition is switched on even when the temperature gauge is at cold and the A/C off.

I suspect a bad cooling fan switch or engine temperature sensor. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      A toyotakarlIts me

The sensor/switch to turn on the fan is at the bottom of the radiator… If the sensor goes bad or gets disconnected, it defaults to running the fan full time..

Check to ensure this sensor is plugged in and the wires are good. If you jump the wires to the sensor and the fan doesn’t run, chances are you have a bad sensor…

Here is a link about a similar issue, only he did not have the sensor installed after someone changed the radiator and he kept burning up his fans…

http://www.ericthecarguy.com/forum/8-Service-and-Repair-Questions-Answered-Here/48552-2001-camry-fans-constantly-on#82314

Nathan FielderNathan
        Participant

Anyway I can check to see if the fan switch is bad?

A toyotakarlIts me

See my first post, I ninja edited some stuff at the end… essentially you unplug and then jump the two wire connection (paperclip) to the switch and if the fan is not running when you start the car (especially if your engine is at or above operating temperature) then the sensor is bad… check out the link too, I included some pics…

Nathan FielderNathan
            Participant

I’ve tried that and the fans are still not turning off. Could it be the fan control module? Also where is the fan control module? I’ve tried looking for it, but couldn’t find it. Does it even exist on the 4 cylinder models?

A toyotakarlIts me

I dont believe the 2.2 had them… I think they are for v6 models of 92-94 which had a hydraulic fan..

Try to check your relay… it may be sticking… try swapping it out (Toyota often uses several of the same relays) or hold it and have someone start the car and feel for the click… or pull it and test with multimeter, or if you can, remove the cap and observe..

Worst case you will have to check the wires to the sensor for continuity. . Any break can cause this issue…

Nathan FielderNathan
                Participant

I do know that pulling the main the main engine relay cause them to stop, but I’ve tried to swapping it for the A/C relay behind the passenger kick panel, but the problem still remains. Bad fuse box or ignition switch?

A toyotakarlIts me

What happens to the fan when you just disconnect the plug to the sensor at the bottom of the radiator without a jumper wire? Does this stop the fan now?

Also, the fan relay should be right next to the main relay you have been pulling.

-Karl

Nathan FielderNathan
                    Participant

When I disconnect the green fan 1 relay, the left fan stops. When I disconnect the fan 2 relay the right fan stops. Could it also be something in the ECM that’s amiss?

A toyotakarlIts me

OK… It could be something in the ECU, but that is the last check… Check the wires going to the switch/sensor… They need to be traced back to where they are sourced or possibly grounded. If there is a break or kink in one of them, the default is to run…

Did you switch around the relays and confirm one isn’t sticking or anything?

Also, a scan tool should be able to tell you if the ECU is running fine… Also you can check what the coolant reading is (ECT)…. That should not cause this to turn on, but should be checked.

Was anything done to this car, or anything unusual happen before the fan started running continuously?

-Karl

Nathan FielderNathan
                        Participant

I believe the fan sensor at the bottom of the radiator is good and the relays also appear to be good as well. So I’m thinking it’s either a bad ground or the other coolant sensor has a problem. I’m also wondering if could be something in the ignition switch sending power somewhere it shouldn’t?

Nathan FielderNathan
                          Participant

Well I really don’t know what’s going, I’ve checked the ETC switch on the bottom of the radiator and is good, I’ve check the relays and they are also working as they’re should. The only clue I’ve got is voltage in what appears to be the ground side of the coil part of the relay circuit (for lack of a better term), I have checked for bad wiring and can’t seem to find any. 🙁

Edit: Problem solved, there was a problem in the a/c pressure switch that caused the cooling fans to be stuck on high, I have since bypassed that part of the switch and fixed the problem. Thanks for the help Karl! 🙂

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          Loading…