Menu

97 S10 2.2 L engine replacement

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 97 S10 2.2 L engine replacement

• Creator
    Topic
    EricEric
    Participant

Hello, I have a 97 s10 5 speed with a blown motor. I’ve tried everywhere but have been unable to find another 97 motor. I did find a 98 s10 motor 2.2 L. I called my local salvage yards to check interchange and they all told me that this motor would not work. They couldn’t tell me why but they all said that it wouldn’t work. I noticed that the top of the engines were slightly different but didn’t think it would matter. Just stuff like throttle cable and ac compressor location. I figured I could use all of the pieces from my 97 engine and just put them on the block of the 98 engine. Does anybody have any input on this? Does anybody know that these engines are interchangeable? I couldn’t imagine the blocks being different in this 1 year range.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
      Keymaster

You might try here.

http://car-part.com

As for interchangeability I really don’t know. This video series might be helpful however. Here’s the first video.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Aaron AbajianAaron Abajian
        Participant

Hello. I have personally replaced hundreds of motors on all type of vehicles. I have installed both used motors and rebuilt motors. The problem with getting a used motor from the salvage yard is that you will more likely to be getting another 17 year old motor and might end up with the same problems. Saying that, most rebuilt motors run between $2000 – $3000. This might not seem practical for your vehicle. I am aware that my “answer” to your question probably left you with more questions in your mind than before you read this… sorry… just want to give you my professional opinion. Good luck!

EricEric
          Participant

This engine was professionally rebuilt 15,000 miles ago. My friend just wrecked his truck and now I have the chance to buy the engine. The engine only had 90,000 miles on it before it was rebuilt. I’m just wondering if a 99 2.2 motor would fit into a 97 s10 that has a bad 2.2 motor. All the salvage yards said no. And when I asked why nobody could tell me. If you could tell me why I would be extremely grateful. If it’s because of the tranny, I’m buying the entire truck that my friend wrecked and it has a great engine and transmission in it. I would move the entire thing over anyways. If it’s because of some type if sensor that his engine has and not mine then couldn’t I just move his computer over? If it’s cause of some different type of accessory part that his hard like an ac compressor or something then I could just use all of his parts. I just don’t see why the only engine that a 97 s10 could use is a 97 s10 engine. You can swap it for a v6 or stick a 350 v8 in it but not a 2 year different motor that’s the exact same size???? I even know people that stick 2001 engines in early 90’s model s10’s. How is that possible if this isn’t? If you could help guide me I would be very grateful

dandan

had too fit a engine from a 1996 Oldsmobile Delta eighty eight into a 1998 Buick Regal LS, they both use 3800 engines the difference is where accessories are mounted, exhaust, ect…

for your vehicle it looks like your car has what is referred too as the 2.2L LN2 engine, and the 99 has a Vortec 2200 L43 essentually the same engine but it appears there are some major differences between the two as far as accessories and some other things are concerned. it looks like from the pictures i am seeing they have different intakes possibly different exhaust systems, there are differenes in how accessories mount, you might be able too get it too work in the truck if you switch the intake and exhaust, the accessories, but i am not sure… according too wikipedia there are some very big differences between the engines.

the different chevy S-10s on Wiki
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_S-10

the engine your truck has is the LN2 2.2L, the engine in the 1999 Chevrolet S-10 the L43 also called the Vortec 2200
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_122_engine#2200

dandan

[quote=”Aaron A.” post=98383]Hello. I have personally replaced hundreds of motors on all type of vehicles. I have installed both used motors and rebuilt motors. The problem with getting a used motor from the salvage yard is that you will more likely to be getting another 17 year old motor and might end up with the same problems. Saying that, most rebuilt motors run between $2000 – $3000. This might not seem practical for your vehicle. I am aware that my “answer” to your question probably left you with more questions in your mind than before you read this… sorry… just want to give you my professional opinion. Good luck![/quote]

yep… leard this lesson the hard way, think you are getting some cheep deal buy getting something from a junk yard, in the end all you get is possibly the same problem you started with in the not too distant future, once again when i did my engine swap it ended up having a multitude of issues, some of them where because the engine had 220,000 miles on it and sat in a barn for 2 months in the freezing cold with its old oil in it. i don’t trust engines from junk yards, you don’t know the history of the vehicle it was in, don’t know what issues it had.

EricEric
                Participant

This engine isn’t from a junk yard. It was a running engine 2 months ago. The truck it’s in only has 90,000 miles and it was just rebuilt.

John HugonJohn Hugon
                  Participant

I tried to look in old factory books on the difference and could only come up engine head design. I would check with a good machinist and see what the difference is…they know.

EricEric
                    Participant

I will probably give up trying to put a 98 motor in it. I just don’t think it will work. The entire engine just looks too different. But a 96 engine looks 100% the same from what I can see. Does anybody know if it would possibly work? Everything in the engine bay is exactly the same as far as I can tell. And both engines has crankshaft and camshaft positioning sensors, which from what I hear is why I can’t use a 94-95 engine.

jasonjason
                      Participant

yes u can use a 94 to 97 but the 98 will not work have tried this just to c because we already had the motor and it will not work without a torch and welder and you don’t want to do that.

Austin trainerAustin trainer
                        Participant

Actually he can only use for direct swap a 96 or a 97 engine for the 2.2l engine those are the only two for vin 4 engines using the 2.2l 194 94 and 95 are the same as well then they changed all over to vortex and flex fuel 98-up I had the same swap issue in my 97.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        Loading…