Menu

307 firing order diagram?

• Creator
    Topic
    Deano GarrettDeano Garrett
    Participant

Does anyone have or know where I can find a diagram of the Chevy 307 firing order? When I do a search I only get it for 289,305,327,350 ect… It is in a 80 Chevy Camino but the block casting #3914636 with head casting #3911032 says it is a 307. I placed a new Mallory HEI dist in and just can’t seam to get the firing order correct. It has a performer intake so can’t get it off there.
      BLOCK

HEADS

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      John HugonJohn Hugon
      Participant

Same as 305/350 Cu.in.

Attachments:
        Participant

HUMM, funny that’s what I tried along with using Eric’s method of finding TDC

And all I am getting is backfires out of the exhaust and pops out of the carb. Would almost swear it is 180 out.

John HugonJohn Hugon
          Participant

Eric’s method should work. Try it 180 degrees the other way…make sure you’re on #1. If that doesn’t work, remove the left rocker arm cover, make sure both valves are closed on # one, remove the distributor and put the distributor back in on # one.

Make sure the backfire from the carb. doesn’t catch fire…be safe

Participant

OK, thanks to autozone.com I am not sure how but it might make a difference. Gonna give it a try, in the first image is how I have every thing placed now. And the second image is how autozone shows it.

As long as #1 is at TDC and rotor is pointing at #1 wire, don’t see how placement of #1 in relation to engine should matter. Or am I overlooking something?

John HugonJohn Hugon
              Participant

No it shouldn’t, but make sure you’re on #1 and both valves are closed and TDC.

I always like to use the illustration for the engine you are working on, but you’re modifying it with a different distributor…I guess it wouldn’t make much difference…. Although I would route the ignition wires as close to factory illustration to prevent cross firing.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                Keymaster

This one looks pretty much covered. Thanks forum.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Participant

“modifying it ” is a bit of a understatement, Edelbrock Performer Series carburetor and intake, Crane cam, roller rockers, 25 over bore, Mallory dist, Scavenger Series headers, Duel 2 1/2″ exhaust with duel 40 series Flowmaster’s, and I know it would have been easier and probably cheaper to buy new but instead gasket matched the intake runners and exhaust ports and polished. Not to mention that a 68 block wasn’t built for use of a power steering pump so had to relocate the alt to make a spot for mounting the P/S pump. And then fab up some brackets for it. And of course a mountain of other parts. And everything was rolling fine till got to the timing.

Participant

Well pulled out the dist and all the wires, and just started over fresh. This time using Eric’s method and the Autozone diagram. Gave it a little squirt of starting fluid and hit the remote start button and she fired right off. And although my neighbors might not agree it sounded awesome, little loud with it just being straight headers at the moment. But definitely sounded stout and healthy. If your really quite you can hear the back tires screaming for mercy already. Can’t wait to button it all up and get it off the lift. Wish could find something better then a Iphone to record it with to post.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                      Keymaster

I think that was a good plan. Glad you got it sorted and she’s running again. I can hear it in my head, it is a beautiful noise.

Thanks for the updates and keep us posted if things change. Thanks also for using the ETCG forum.

Participant

Yes she runs again,and THANK YOU to the forum. Sometimes you get so into things and then you start second guessing yourself. It helps sometimes just to hear(or read…lol) someone else saying it to put you at ease.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        Loading…