Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Misaligned crankshaft pulley (harmonic balancer)

Misaligned crankshaft pulley (harmonic balancer)

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Misaligned crankshaft pulley (harmonic balancer)

• Creator
    Topic
    Abilio MarquesAbilio Marques
    Participant

Checking timing light on my 1998 Civic (D16Y), I got weird results as explained in this other thread (http://www.ericthecarguy.com/forum/8-Service-and-Repair-Questions-Answered-Here/53432-unable-to-set-timing-properly).

So I checked for top dead center with a stick inside the spark plug #1, and found the marks were completely off. Removed the valve cover, and the marks in the camshaft pulley did align when cylinder #1 is at TDC. So crankshaft and camshaft are perfectly aligned.

Then, the only possible reason for the marks to be that far away is that the crankshaft pulley is off. Now the question is, how did that happen? I did the timing belt last time, and I’m pretty sure everything was perfectly aligned.

Plus, doesn’t the Woodruff key keep the pulley aligned to a crankshaft indentation? So how come the marks are not aligned anymore?

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Abilio MarquesAbilio Marques
      Participant

Following the timing marks problem in my civic 98 (stock D16Y engine), I found that the crankshaft pulley was the one to blame (TDC mark didn’t align when the cyl #1 was at TDC, but the camshaft marks did).

Took all the accessories belts out, and the screw, just to find that the woodruff key was not in place. Found what was left of it inside the dust cover, and then I realized that the crankshaft was dented. I’m attaching two pictures.

In normal conditions, does the woodruff key actually keeps the pulley from spinning? Does it take too much load? Why did it go off this bad? If one align a good pulley and torque the bolt to specs, will it remain in place, or will it slip? Is the pulley supposed to freely spin when positioned over the crankshaft? (no bolt)

What is the best I can do in this case, if I don’t want to replace the crankshaft? (first of all, I don’t think I can find one in the country I’m in).

college mancollege man

I combined your two posts.

GlennGlenn
          Participant

I don’t want to be the bearer of bad news, but a likely scenario is that the engine suddenly seized for some reason while running at a relatively high rpm. It would take a tremendous amount of force to bend that crankshaft (which is what happened)and shear off the key-way. It appears the key-way was in place. That is likely what bent the slot in crankshaft. In fact, the crank bolt is designed to help lock the key-way in place. Before going any further, I’d suggest removing the spark plugs, timing belt, reinserting the crank bolt and turning the engine by hand. See if the crankshaft turns freely on its own.I hope you are able to acquire the necessary resources to fix this.

Chris passiveaggressivemuch?Chris
            Participant

Since it runs fine I would leave it alone until such time as you can find a new crank (and all the parts that will need to be changed to replace it) as that is the only fix for a broken keyway.
              I couldn’t quite firgure out what you were saying about a mechanic having removed somethgin to replace a seal but if they had to remove the crank bolt they may have forgotten to tighten it when they started it up the first time and caused that damage as that looks like the pulley was not fully on when the damage to the keyway occurred.
              I don’t think the key slipping could have done that damage to the steel at the front of the crank even if it were a steel key meant only for alignment and holding. If it had slipped it would be trapped under the pulley and you’d be having a problem getting things off to take those pics. That looks like it sheared when the key was only partially in or partially extended past the end of the crank. Is the key you have original or a replacement? If you can find that out it may tell you something.

Lorrin BarthLorrin Barth
              Participant

I’d suggest showing those photographs around at local machine shops. See if they think any repair can be done.

GlennGlenn
                Participant

You know, reading newtome’s advice made me think about something. I gave some bad initial advice, and it won’t be the last time I’m sure. On second thought, the engine may be fine. The timing marks on the interior of the crankshaft with the pulley off may be perfectly aligned with the cam, etc., In other words, it could be in perfect time, yet the mark on the crank pulley itself will not align for obvious reasons. So don’t take the timing belt(s) off. As barneyb suggested, maybe some type of repair can be made to the existing crankshaft without pulling it. As long as the engine itself is timed properly (using the interior marks in this case), it won’t be the end of the world if the marks don’t line up with the Crank pulley and timing cover installed.Best of luck with this

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                Loading…