Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 05 Pilot – P0420 Code, with a 165 Blinking CEL

05 Pilot – P0420 Code, with a 165 Blinking CEL

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 05 Pilot – P0420 Code, with a 165 Blinking CEL

• Creator
    Topic
    Dean HansenDean Hansen
    Participant

I\’ve got an 05 Pilot with 161,000 miles. The CEL has been coming and going for a while. An ODBII scan revealed the generic P0420 code. I cleared the code twice, and the same code returns within 30-50 miles. When I jump the two pins on the connector to get the CEL to blink the Honda code, I get 16 long and 5 short blinks, which I\’m assuming translates to P0165. That code states that there\’s a problem with the O2 sensor at Bank 2 Sensor 3. I can\’t find anything related to Bank 2 Sensor 3 on an 05 Pilot. I would really appreciate any help in identifying which sensor would be causing the 165 code.

The symptom I can sense now is a stuttering of the engine starting at around 40-45 MPH. It\’s not a major stutter, but I can definitely notice it. I changed the plugs yesterday with the same NGK Iridium plugs, all gaps were within spec out of the box. All of the old plugs looked quite clean. No burnt oil, very little browning on the porcelain. I cleared the CEL after changing the plugs, and it returned today after about 30 miles.

Additional info: The truck accelerates well, and idles evenly.

If you could possibly lead me in the right direction, that would be great!

Thanks,
      BB

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      IngvarIngvar
      Participant

funny, I JUST posted on same code, for a CR-V, in DIY forum.

also very interesting way of pulling codes – on OBDII vehicle. BUT!!! might be the right way of doing it anyway, as many say, that P0420 IS actually O2 issue, not cat issue.
        anyhow..

He he….

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3atxu-5uKk

2002 CRV Code PO420 – Honda-Tech

Dean HansenDean Hansen
        Participant

I also changed the air filter along with the plugs. The NGK plugs were put in without anti seize, and torqued to 18 ft lb. Double checked that all of the coil pack connectors were solidly seated.

Dean HansenDean Hansen
          Participant

I just found out that the blinking CEL code of 165 does not translate to P0165. It seems like it refers to low efficiency of the rear cat. Now I have to figure out if there’s a particular O2 sensor I can swap out as a cheaper alternative first, before having to even consider spending the bucks on a new cat.

IngvarIngvar
            Participant

Rear cat? As in one next to firewall engine side?
              Sort of points towards which sensor is it, right?
              You ever heard about cleaning cats? Plenty info online. Same procedure cleans O2 sensors.

college mancollege man

The after cat o2 is telling you the cat converter is not cleaning the emissions
                good enough. here is a link for p0420.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Loading…