Menu

1999 ford windstar electrical issue

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 1999 ford windstar electrical issue

• Creator
    Topic
    Luke RothenbergerLuke Rothenberger
    Participant

I have a 1999 ford windstar with an all of a sudden electrical issue.
      the following do not work:
      brake lights, headlights (interior dash lights dim but nothing from exterior lights), turn signals (dash signals come on but flash at high rate),emergency flashers (dash signals come on but flash at high rate) interior dome lights, power door locks (via manual switch or key fob).
      I checked the fuses (non blown) but I found 6 fuses under the dash that are not getting power (using 12V light tester) and two fuses under the hood also not getting power)
      All of the fuses not getting power are related to the above listed items not working (according to owner manual)
      Not sure where to go from here….

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      ratdude747ratdude747
      Participant

Two questions:

1. Did you check the wiring diagram? It may be ground side fuses, which would mean there shouldn’t be power there.

2. If they’re high side fused (not ground side), I’d be looking for a relatively large wire between the fuse box and battery, as I bet they’re all on a common power feed (again, a wiring diagram would help here).

Andrew PhillipsAndrew Phillips
        Participant

[quote=”luker” post=144251]I have a 1999 ford windstar with an all of a sudden electrical issue.
          the following do not work:
          brake lights, headlights (interior dash lights dim but nothing from exterior lights), turn signals (dash signals come on but flash at high rate),emergency flashers (dash signals come on but flash at high rate) interior dome lights, power door locks (via manual switch or key fob).
          I checked the fuses (non blown) but I found 6 fuses under the dash that are not getting power (using 12V light tester) and two fuses under the hood also not getting power)
          All of the fuses not getting power are related to the above listed items not working (according to owner manual)
          Not sure where to go from here….[/quote]

Those fuses receive power from the switched power relays #1 and #2 in the battery fuse/relay box under the hood. The switched power relays are turned on and off by the front electronic module (FEM) under the dash, above and to the left of the brake pedal. The FEM is powered by two 10A fuses, #2 and #21, and 30A fuse #6, in the battery fuse/relay box under the hood. I would first check those fuses if they are not the ones you mentioned before, and then check for power and ground at the FEM. If the FEM is properly powered and grounded and those items are still not working, then the FEM may have gone bad and need to be replaced. If the two under-hood fuses not powered are the fuses for the FEM, you will need to find the wiring fault for them and repair it to restore power to the FEM.

Luke RothenbergerLuke Rothenberger
          Participant

Thanks Cap269, I’ll check all these items and see where I end up.
            I appreciate all the details.

Corey BrackenCorey Bracken
            Participant

Can you please tell me what was causing this problem?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…