Menu

1993 honda accord

• Creator
    Topic
    jjjj
    Participant

1993 accord sometimes wont start ……already check spark plugs / I got good fuel pressure /got good power to the ignition coil / got a new main relay/ and starter too ….after all what I done the car runs even better than before / but sometimes wont start after three four or up to 10 times it will start ….and it smells like it’s not burning the gas like I’m missing spark but I’m not /even got new ngk plugs …….

ANY IDEAS ?????? ANY BODY

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      jjjj
      Participant

I think I put this in the wrong spot

Rob KromeRob Krome
        Participant

When my 92 Accord does that it is usually the ignition control module. if you take the distributor cap off and the rotor out, it is in the bottom of the distributor housing. Held in place with 2 philips head screws and a couple/three wire connections. Honda OEM modules last longer but, cheapo bought one from the parts store. has a “lifetime” warranty but, fails with frightening regularity at the most inopportune times.

jjjj
          Participant

ill try it and i will let you know

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
            Keymaster

I would table the above suggestion. The terminology isn’t correct and that’s not really a viable diagnosis.

You first need to determine what’s missing during the no start condition, spark or fuel. If it’s missing spark, then look to the distributor. If it’s missing fuel, then look to the main relay. BTW Honda’s hardly ever have fuel pump issues unless they’ve been replaced with aftermarket units. I cover no starts in detail here.

http://www.ericthecarguy.com/faq/solving-automotive-no-start-problems

Something to also consider is the coolant temp sensor. Sometimes they go bad on those older models and don’t set a code. If it’s giving false readings, it can cause a hard start condition. If you don’t find anything with spark and fuel, I’d look there next.

Rob KromeRob Krome
              Participant

Without meaning to be impertinent…. please allow me to clarify my previous post… If you have gas, plugs, wires, cap, coil and rotor are good THEN check the ignition control module. (Sometimes called an igniter) See the attached photo. Just trying to help…

Attachments:
                jjjj
                Participant

thank you already got a new one but still the same way some times it takes up to 5 times to start and it does start runs good too i just never know when it will start ….. and no check engine light

jjjj
                  Participant

see thats the problem im not missing spark or fuel . already check fuel presure too just to make sure … coolant temp sensor???
                    has to do with no start ?? i dont get it . its not getting hot at all always in the middle never hot . this problem could be in the mornings or after 40 mile trip dont matter ….. 2 weeks now

JeremyJeremy
                    Participant

I have a 1990 Accord. Same issue. I crank it and it doesnt start but i smell fuel. The fuel pump doesnt prime when it happens to me. I never looked further into it because it really doesnt happen often enough. When it happens try having a buddy it in trunk and see if he can hear the fuel pump priming up when you turn the key to ACC

jjjj
                      Participant

thanks to erics video . :woohoo: I got curious where my ground wire leads and when I saw it it wasn’t pretty…… install new wire there and so far no problems . ill keep you guys updated in few days .

jjjj
                        Participant

UPDATE …..it doesn’t take as much as use to but it still struggles to start

Keymaster

[quote=”justdoit24″ post=145281]see thats the problem im not missing spark or fuel . already check fuel presure too just to make sure … coolant temp sensor???
                            has to do with no start ?? i dont get it . its not getting hot at all always in the middle never hot . this problem could be in the mornings or after 40 mile trip dont matter ….. 2 weeks now[/quote]

If you read through the article I linked for you, it also mentioned checking the mechanical function of the engine. If there’s a mechanical problem, the engine may not start.

Please take the time to read through that article and do some testing before you start throwing parts at the problem.

Keymaster

[quote=”robertkrome” post=145197]Without meaning to be impertinent…. please allow me to clarify my previous post… If you have gas, plugs, wires, cap, coil and rotor are good THEN check the ignition control module. (Sometimes called an igniter) See the attached photo. Just trying to help…
                              [/quote]

This is included in the No-start article I linked.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            Loading…