Menu

Renault Megane MK2

• This topic has 5 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by zerozero.
  • Creator
    Topic
    Aaron DitchfieldAaron Ditchfield
    Participant

Ok where to start Jesus I Bought this car sometime last year, I got the car cheap cheap cheap and thought BARGAIN.

Little did I know what a possible simple fix could turn out to my hair falling out, Due to this being the worst car on the face of this planet for electrical problems.

So I was told about this small issue with the Front wiper and was well aware of this when I changed the fuse for the wiper but as soon as I put the fuse into the correct slot the fuse would blow I sent the car for its M.O.T #(is an annual test of vehicle safety, roadworthiness in Great Britain)#

Now the car failed due to a few things and one of those as I knew would be the Front wiper not working I gave them a replacement wiper to fit whilst it was at there which I knew was working as it was off my other megane.

Long story short they said it didn’t work blah blah blah im crap at my job blah blah

So I took the car home and left it under a Tree without the plastic cover that goes over the wiper motor and Scuttle drains.

Few months later I change the wiper motor over and put a new fuse in the board. My wife turns on the heat fan Great move…and sucks loads of leaves into the Cars heater air intake which is were the wiper motor is so i moved all the leaves and bang they work perfecto apart the horrible noise from all the leaves in the heater fan #Facepalm

Now were all working few weeks later I go to move the car, I manage to go about 10 feet with wipers on PUFF car lights up like a Christmas tree Wipers stop mid cycle and theres a strong smell of burning

I get it back and start checking the fuses the wiper fuse has blow so I change it and pop as soon as I put it in its blown (hold on this is a newish wiper motor) sooo why is it popping fuses like it did with the old motor. I Dig a little deeper into the actual fuse box

I find a resistor that appears to have caught fire and split in half…and has burnt a relay next to it

Now im thinking to myself WTF is going on fuses keep popping as soon they touch the fuse insert prongs

After some thought and reading I come to this conclusion and its possibly far fetched…….When I parked this car under the tree with no cover over the wiper section and scuttle drains and air intake I am now thinking the scuttle drains which need to be cleared for water to run away to the ground got blocked with dirt grime and leaves and this was evident that they did get blocked when I took them out and cleaned them.

To little to later and this was a stupid mistake on my behalf Due to the drains being blocked the heater air intake decided it was a little thirsty and decided it would drain all the water that ran down the windscreen into the cars wells soundproofing and carpets.

Now I have stripped out the all the soundproofing and carpets that were all Saturated with water and have now dried them.

But alas the Fusebox under the bonnet although it has a blown resistor everything electrical bar 2 things are working Front wipers and ( 1 rear bulb which I will get to later ) Sooo the fuse box for some strange reason has constant power going to motor even though the fuse has blown and continues to blow but still remains under power with no fuse but the actual wiper does not move.

Soooo any help as to why this is under power or why the fuse blows instantly would be or why a resistor caught fire a help I have a spare fuse board in perfect order but not risking another blown board for the sake of something minor I have no idea were to start or even if the motor as burnt out which it shouldn’t of as its new

Now the weird Bulb wow those French guys like to build cars on LSD or something right light close all lights work bar 1 Bulb which is on a 2 bulb circuit

2 wires 1 negative 1 positive that power the 2 lights now one of these bulbs wont light I have changed the bulb that did not work worked I have changed the module the bulbs sit in with 4 different spares I have all did not work how is this even possible as one bulb still lights on the same circuit using the same positive and negative wires.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments:
    Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      college mancollege man

If a resistor is shorted that could be your short and causing your constant power.
        Your best bet here is to get a wiring diagram to see how the circuit is supposed
        to be wired. The fuses box itself could be the problem.

Participant

I ordered a new one recently might have to do some multi meter testing just don’t want there to be a burn out again if its something before the board or just after the board.

Like you say it could even be the boards dead its

no idea were to find a diagram for this car to be honest

Renault megane mk2 1.4 Dynamic

zerozero
          Participant

If you’ve already resigned yourself to replacing the fuse box, take it apart and have a look.

For a diagram, you could try to find a Euro equivalent to Mitchell or Alldata. I live in Canada, and if it’s not a US domestic model, support is almost non-existent on North American platforms. Had a Snap-On tech support guy (for our $10,000 scan tool) basically hang up on me one day for trying to do something on a non-US vehicle. Aside from scouring Google images or try looking in Renault owners forums.

Participant

Ok guys I have managed to sort the window wiper and the bulb for everyones information the nearside bulb on Renaults is cosmetic and is not testable and is up to the person doing the electrics on the car wether they decided to wire the bulb up when its being built

wipers were fixed after replacing a psu or uch board under the boneet

NEXT PROBLEM

The passenger window goes down even if I press up to make it go up then when its down in the door it stays there and wont come back up.
              Unless I leave it for a hour then press up to make it go up

zerozero
              Participant

Up to the person doing the electrics on the car to decide? How old is this thing?

It sounds like the motor might be bad. They’re generally a simple 2-wire system and the switch merely changes the direction of the current. Or maybe it’s the switch now that I think about it. Using a DVOM on one wire you should see 12 volts going up and ground going down, or vise versa. You could simply remove the motor for testing so the window doesn’t move.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Loading…