Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 98 Honda Civic Exhaust manifold crack…

98 Honda Civic Exhaust manifold crack…

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 98 Honda Civic Exhaust manifold crack…

• Creator
    Topic
    HCivicHCivic
    Participant

98 Civic, and it has crack on the exhaust manifold it’s about 5 inches down and about 1MM crack. i was wondering if i should just replace it all together and spend like $200 or end up just welding it or leaving it cracked? also, any tips on changing the timing belt and water pump in a 98 Civic?

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      619DioFan619DioFan
      Participant

+ 1 on replacing the manifold. changing the t/belt and water pump is the same techniques as eric shows just takes longer when in the car. before you start you will need the crank pulley holding tool ( som

HCivicHCivic
        Participant

I went to Pullapart 2 of them auctally, went to all the Civic… and all the engines are pulled literally every single honda civic has the engine pulled.

TheAreteTheArete
          Participant

Eric has a great video on changing the timing belt… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoJcAS58CHg.

Well it would be best to replace the manifold or your can do an Eastern Shore thing and JB weld the sucker. That way if it doesn’t work… no harm done, you were going to replace the thing anyways. Two cents in any case. I’ve had success with JB cold weld in High temp applications as well as high humidity applications and it’s work so far. Not sure if the exhause 600- 900+

college mancollege man

I would replace the exhaust manifold. cracks get bigger and leaks cause problems. good luck and keep us posted. C8-)

HCivicHCivic
              Participant

I already have a bad 02 Sensor from it cracked, but i saw that video and he took the engine out, and i don’t have access to one of those. but i don’t know if there is enough room in their.

HCivicHCivic
                Participant

And ive already tried JB weald and it did not do anything ive tried it a few times

dreamer2355dreamer2355
                  Participant

I would just replace the exhaust manifold with a new OEM unit.

Matt BrandsemaMatt Brandsema
                    Participant

If you don’t want to buy a new one, get one from a junk yard. I feel like an exhaust manifold is a great “junk yard part” because you can see if there is anything wrong with it by looking at it. (Unlike a fuel pump or something)

cb7ftwcb7ftw
                      Participant

Welcome to the Civic world. 92 through 2000 can use many of the same parts. You can almost take apart a whole engine with just a 10mm and 12mm socket. $300 and you can have another engine to pull parts off of. Some time as low as $50. Stick to stock. But if you want to take a walk on the wild side, you can put a higher end exhaust manifold on, and pick up a few extra HP. Be careful. Once you do that, you start upgrading your intake manifold, short air intake, B18 🙂

HCivicHCivic
                        Participant

I might drive a hour away and go to a pull apart that got 6 Civics in the last month! they have like 35 honda civics in the 1995 area so imma go their today and get one and i wish i had a b18…

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                          Keymaster

Given that problem is so common I don’t think you’re going to have much luck with a salvage unit but it’s worth a try. I’ve actually welded them in the past with mixed success, the trick is to first drill holes at the ends of the crack so that it can’t spread then you need to first heat the metal of the manifold with a torch to get it nice and hot before you start to weld, you then weld it, let it cool and see if you won.

Cracks in exhaust manifolds don’t ruin O2 sensors but it does throw off their readings.

HCivicHCivic
                            Participant

Found out today, that pull a part cuts off Catalic converts because they have chemicals in them so and exhaust manafold is connect to CC so im out of luck, i might just bring it to school, beacsue they have a welding class their and imma see if they can patch it up

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                              Keymaster

Quoted From HCivic:

Found out today, that pull a part cuts off Catalic converts because they have chemicals in them so and exhaust manafold is connect to CC so im out of luck, i might just bring it to school, beacsue they have a welding class their and imma see if they can patch it up

That’s not why they cut them off it’s because they have platinum and palladium inside them and are worth a LOT of money as a result and the reason I didn’t think you’d be able to find one at a salvage yard. You might consider taking it off and bringing it to a professional welder as that would be much cheeper than replacing it.

cb7ftwcb7ftw
                                Participant

Guess what. My exhaust manifold in my D16Y7 is cracked. Did not realize the catalytic converter was part of the exhaust manifold on this engine. What a dumb design. So I am thinking of getting a 4-2-1 stainless steal exhaust header and relocating the cat to the bottom. Have to research to see if I can bolt it on, or if I will have to make some pipe. Will have to extend my 02 sensor wires. Funny how you can “upgrade” for cheaper then replacing the exhaust/cat combo. Well labor for me is free 🙂

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Loading…