Menu
  • Home
  • 1991 Honda CRX Si: Nothing happens when I try to start the engine

1991 Honda CRX Si: Nothing happens when I try to start the engine

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 1991 Honda CRX Si: Nothing happens when I try to start the engine 1991 Honda CRX Si: Nothing happens when I try to start the engine

TheoTheo
Participant

I had a 1989 CRX with the same issue. It turned out to be the ignition switch. In my case if I turned the key off and on, trying to start every time then eventually it would start. Later I found out that keeping some torque/twist on the key would make proper contact and the car would start. I ended up opening the ignition key and cleaning the contacts, I think I also bent a bit the copper surfaces and that seems to have fixed the problem. I cannot remember if I could hear or if I could NOT hear the fuel pump when I turned the key and it would not or would start. I want to say that I did NOT hear the fuel pump when the car would not start and then I would hear the pump when the car would start. Sorry for not remembering well it was more than 15 years ago and I sold the car about ten years ago. But do try to listen for the fuel pump humming when you turn the ignition to on but before you crank the ignition. When you turn the key on (but before you crank the engine) you normally hear the fuel pump humming for a few seconds and then it stops. It may give you some further clue as to what the cause is. From what I remember, after the fact, I read about many others having the same ignition switch issue on CRXs of that era. Perhaps you can search CRX and ignition switch for more clues…

Loading…