Menu
  • Home
  • 1991 Honda CRX Si: Nothing happens when I try to start the engine

1991 Honda CRX Si: Nothing happens when I try to start the engine

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 1991 Honda CRX Si: Nothing happens when I try to start the engine 1991 Honda CRX Si: Nothing happens when I try to start the engine

Egidiou LeeEgidiou
Participant

I solved my problem, which was a simple fix: Clutch pad for Clutch Pedal Switch A had broken off (due to age) and got replaced (see attached pic diagram).

My first instinct was that it had nothing to do with any kind of ignition or relay switch issues, because when I turned the ignition key there was absolutely zero noise of any kind coming from under the dash or hood. This told me that there was some kind of actual physical/mechanical issues, not electrical.

For anyone interested, the CRX models (as well other Honda models) like the one I have, have three of the plastic pedal stops that are located on the brake and clutch pedals.

1. There is one pedal stop for the brake, in which the pedal stop pad (at rest) puts pressure on the brake switch (a spring-loaded button appendage) to keep the brake light from turning on. When the brake is pressed, the pedal stop pad is released which allows the brake switch to turn on the brake light. As you can imagine, when the brake is naturally at rest, and the brake pedal stop breaks off (due to old age, which is a common thing for older Honda models), this will release the brake pedal switch, which will turn on the brake lights. In my case, I had my car cover on when this unfortunate event took place, so there was no way of telling that my battery had completely gotten drained and died. I replaced the pad about 7 years ago when the incident took place, along with the Clutch Pedal Switch B (see attached diagram). Unfortunately, I did not replace Clutch Pedal Switch A (which I should have), due to laziness (and not being able to locate it), so it ultimately came back to bite me.

2. There are two clutch pedal stops for the clutch (see the attached diagram). In my case, the clutch pedal stop pad for the Clutch Pedal A had broken off (see the red arrow in the attached pic showing where the pad location is). The Clutch Pedal A switch functions in an opposite manner to that of the Brake Pedal Switch pad. On the brake pedal switch, at rest the brake pedal pad keeps pressure on the brake pedal switch so as it keep the brake lights from turning on. Whereas on the Clutch Pedal Switch A, you need to press the clutch pedal in order to engage the [spring-loaded] switch toggle to start the engine.

So, in my case the clutch pedal pad got broken off (due to brittleness due to temp changes and aging), so even if I would press the clutch pedal in, there was a missing amount of gap space (needed to be filled by the clutch pedal stop pad) to make contact with the Clutch Pedal Switch A. Because the Clutch Pedal Switch A is higher up the pedal assembly, you cannot see where the clutch pedal pad’s location hole is. However, you can actually see a little bit of the Clutch Pedal Switch A (the spring-loaded button) assembly (with or without a small hand-held mirror). Once you have gotten sight of the switch tip, you can naturally orient yourself to the spot where the clutch pedal stop would be located, directly opposite the switch tip. You’ll have to feel with your fingers for the hole where the pedal stop would need to be inserted.

All told, there are three of the pedal stops that needed to be replaced for my ’91 CRX. The Brake Pedal Switch and the Clutch Pedal Switch B are pretty easy to access, because they are located on the lower assembly of the pedals and can easily be seen. The trickier one is trying to locate the Clutch Pedal Switch A, which is higher up the pedal assembly, but with a small hand-held mirror, you will be able to see the switch assembly and the [spring-loaded] tip. From there, you will just have to feel with your fingers where the hole is located on the clutch pedal frame that is directly across from the switch tip.

Hope this info helps anyone with similar issues I’ve had.

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-46505-SA5-000-Clutch-Pedal-Stop/dp/B007WPCND8
    https://honda-tech.com/forums/attachments/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/459964d1501528094-part-number-starter-cut-relay-pic-included-picture_5078.jpg

Loading…