Menu
  • Home
  • Reply To: Binding Crankshaft

Reply To: Binding Crankshaft

Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
Participant

It looks like I’ll be biting the bullet and going to the machine shop for answers, but before leaving you alone,
    Please keep us posted on the results.

I’d like to ask these general questions:
    If a crankshaft has been been machined to the proper tolerance, and the appropriate bearings have have been obtained for an engine that ran and had no considerable wear patterns on the old bearings and original factory shims properly replaced, wouldn’t the new bearings be suspect, some thing is not round?
    Quite possible, some thing is not round or striaght
    Crank shaft may not be straight.

These are the first bearing I’ve encountered without alignment tangs on one edge, but there is an alignment dowel that is placed between the oil galley holes in the upper bearings. It allows little movement for equal crush ob opposite sides. I have lined up the oil grooves that seem to fit universally on the #1 and #2 bearings but wonder if there is a specific placement for the direction of these halves. Taking the bearings 3 and 4 into consideration that can’t be improperly installed, I’ve used the markings on the back of each bearing to assume their positions.

I wasn’t there to see what the original setup looked like and have no idea what the replacements compare to the originals.
    I would assume that there have been instructions included to their proper installation or at least a tech suppot number to make inquires.

If you’ll give me your feedback on this, I’ll leave you alone and thank you for your valuable time and consideration in this frustrating ordeal.
    I greatly appreciate your time.
    These forums are specifically here to try to help people out on all types of repairs and those here do their best to assist where they can, so don’t feel that your wasting anyones time or efforts.
    I can only offer this:
    When doing a full engine rebuild you do need some basic measuring equipment IE, bore gauge, calipers etc to do the job.
    When getting the parts machine work done IE block, crank, replacement cam ( at least where I’m from ) it is common enough pratice that the shop is fully equipped to machine and test fit the major components to ensure it all fits and works together.
    I realize in your situation it required 2 different shops.
    I do not know if maybe one or both could have gotten something wrong with dealing with a engine that is 50 years old ( and likely older than most of the people working there. )

Loading…