Menu
  • Home
  • Reply To: Honda V6 Timing Belt Screw Up

Reply To: Honda V6 Timing Belt Screw Up

Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
Participant

Hmmm…
    Let me see if I have this correct.
    I assume you had all the timing marks aligned … cams, crank when you had the new belt install.
    Then proceeded to turn the crank bolt, realized your mistake then kept turning the crank (without the cams turning one full revolution ( 360*) so that you could get the key installed.
    If I got that correct, that means your cams are still set at TDC but your crank rotated 360*.
    If you did managed to turn the crank the 360* without any type of lock up ( a piston hitting a valve ) you are EXTREMELY lucky.
    Though it would be harder to tell with the spark plugs installed fighting cylinder compression.
    What you would need to do is:

First, remove all the spark plugs
    At this point you could try looking down each cylinder with a bore scope and look for any contact marks on the tops of the pistons for contacting the valves.
    If you decide not to …
    Second, Slowly and very carefully bar the engine over (by hand)
    Third, Triple check your timing marks and that #1 cylinder is @ TDC both valves and piston.

If by some act of god there was no contact between any valve and piston turning the crank forward 360* you should ok.
    Remember the whole engine needs to rotate 720* for all cylinders to complete their 4 strokes.
    The crank repeats its position every 360*
    Reinstall your plugs then cross your fingers and try to start it.

Loading…