Menu
  • Home
  • Reply To: Can an oil leak short out a starter and cause a brand new drive belt to snap?

Reply To: Can an oil leak short out a starter and cause a brand new drive belt to snap?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Can an oil leak short out a starter and cause a brand new drive belt to snap? Reply To: Can an oil leak short out a starter and cause a brand new drive belt to snap?

Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
Participant

Trust me, one sniff would tell you if it was electrical or if it was rubber burning even after the fact.
    I have seen starters fail due to oil leaking on them.
    Doesn’t happen right away usually over the course of months or a couple of years, all depends on how large of a leak.
    Also most times it is due to valve cover gaskets leaking.

I spoke with an experienced mechanic I know and he sternly said, “a new, properly inspected/installed/tested belt without defects would NEVER snap as a result of a short in the starter or anything locking up”.
    As I said don’t know your specific vehicle.
    I’ve never seen it myself, but that’s not to say some vehicles may have unique setups.
    If I had to guess either they installed the wrong belt or over tensioned it.

I did not hear any noise prior to losing steering. I will search service info (any suggestions of sources)?
    This is in contradiction to what you were told.
    In almost all cases having a belt slide over a seized pulley, it will scream quite loud.
    Much like when you hear a car screaming when first started with a loose belt.
    As to service info…. Might try googling a factory service manual.
    You might get lucky and find it free on line.

Loading…