Menu
  • Home
  • How to add thrust bearing to 2002 Civic LX camshaft

How to add thrust bearing to 2002 Civic LX camshaft

JulienJulien
Participant

It’s fixed! Thanks again for your suggestions. In the past two weeks, I did four things at the same time, any one of which may have fixed it. First, having noticed the ground wires were in poor shape, I replaced the ground cable from the battery with a new one. I removed, cleaned, and reused the other ground wires under the hood. Second, I replaced the camshaft position sensor with a genuine Honda part. Third, I cleaned some oily residue from the connector. Fourth,and this is what I suspect fixed it, I made sure the connector attached securely to the new sensor. Initially it seemed to go on just fine but I noticed it would slide off with a tug. I eventually realized that the connector has a very thin rubber boot that compresses like an accordeon when it attaches. This boot was preventing the plastic clip from locking. In my attempt to remove the boot, I ended up splitting it near the top. This allowed a little more clearance for the clip to compress it and then lock into place. I’ve had some oil leaks, one particularly bad, from the valve cover. I suspect the boot may have swelled from oil contamination. The car has now gone close to 200 miles with no trouble.

Loading…