Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 02 Chevy Impala 3.8L motor shutting down while driving

02 Chevy Impala 3.8L motor shutting down while driving

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 02 Chevy Impala 3.8L motor shutting down while driving

• Creator
    Topic
    Nathaniel BarkerNathaniel Barker
    Participant

I have an ’02 Chevy Impala with the 3.8L engine. While driving in ambient temperatures below about 40°F the engine will shut off entirely and I have to put it neutral and coast to the side of the road to get it started again, it doesn’t do it while the ambient temperature is above 45°F.

My routine before driving the vehicle when it is below 50°F ambient temperature is to start the car about 30 minutes before I leave work the engine temp on the gauge says its about 180° and by about 3/4 of the way home (10 mile drive so about 7 and a half miles) the temp gauge shows that the engine temperature is about 150° and it shuts off and I coast to the side of the road to start it then about half a mile down the road it repeats the issue again and continues to do so the rest of the way home.

I’ve already replace the alternator, battery, camshaft sensor, crankshaft sensor, engine coolant temperature sensor, mass airflow sensor, idle air control valve, and 2 of the 3 coil packs.

If anyone has any ideas on what the issue is please help I’m at my wits end.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

Question..
        When the engine shuts off, are there any dashboard lights that come on or is the dash completely dark?

Participant

After the 3rd or 4th time of it shutting down it shows in the message center window service traction system soon and then the traction control is turned off

Participant

Not what I’m asking …
            Is the battery light, check engine light etc lite up or is the indicator lights all dark

Participant

Yes all of those are off

Participant

Then it’s better than even money you have a faulty ignition switch.
                I’m willing to bet when you remove it your going to see some contact burning happening.
                I know this because I chased the same issue on another 2002 monte carlos that would just shut off while driving.
                The clue is if the engine stalls, all the idiot lights all come on on the dash board, but if the engine shuts off (like if you turn the key off)
                The engine thinks you just turned it off and gives no error code(s)

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Loading…