Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • ’02 F150 4.2l intermittent loss of power.

’02 F150 4.2l intermittent loss of power.

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here ’02 F150 4.2l intermittent loss of power.

• Creator
    Topic
    Dave CastleDave Castle
    Participant

Hello Everyone,

this is one hiccup that has me stumped…

’02 F150 – 4.2L – XL (basiclly standard at least in my mind)

Out of the blue… when I accelerate getting on the HWY sometimes it is okay other times complete loss of power and I mean it could happen at 35mph or at 75mph.

Does not seem to matter what kind of load it is under nor if I am gentle like around town or flying up a hill it Cuts Out complete loss of power then it will come back with a bit of peppering the gas.

Now what I have done attempting to rectify it.

1. New fuel filter.
      2. New coil pack.
      3. New plugs and wires .054 gap.
      4. New Fuel Pump Relay

It was showing 30lbs on the fuel rail at idle with my pressure guage

Things I have done recently are the EGR Valve, all the top of the motor stuff like that (PCV) , but that was a couple months ago…I was beginning to think it was the trans because as I sat dead on the side of the road… when I would put it in Neutral the engine roared like a lion as if the problem was not in the fuel delivery.
      So…

5. New Trans filter and fluid.
      Even emptied the torque converter (who knew there was a drain plug? go figure)

Trans is the 4R70W.

This is a new issue I must say.

Complete, Intermittent Loss of power but the engine never dies and runs great when out of gear.

I had to amend the runs great out of gear statement when it is fussy it can run poor any time but it always clears up hot or cold.

You know as I write this and thinking about it the engine did stall this AM it was 23 degrees here in NJ.

But it started right back up again.

She is not throwing any codes at all.

The fuel tank had too much gas in it to drop it to look at the fuel pump.

So I borrowed 3, 5 gallon gas cans and tried to siphon to no avail.

I dropped the tank put in the new fuel pump.

After putting on about 8 miles limping around the neighborhood it felt okay to hit the highway wow what a pleasure it was just like have the truck new in early ’03 I was thrilled that was Sunday 12/22/13 Ya yesterday.

I confidently went out to do some grocery shopping and it was back with a vengeance.

Much more testy much longer before it would jump back to life So I thought “I bet my buddy had these plastic gas cans in his garage for some time and I might have dumped water back in to my tank with the old gas so I put in a pint of seafoam to 16 gallons did nothing that I could tell so I added a bottle of specific water stuff it was called Heet.

There you have it, I have looked through this great site and will look at testing vacuum tomorrow after I test the fuel filter for any obstruction post fuel pump might just replace it right after coffee.

Thanks in advance for taking a look and while I am feeling thankful

Happy Holidays to to all!

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      college mancollege man

What brand of plugs did you use? Should be motorcraft.
        Put your fp gauge on and with the engine running pull
        the vacuum line on the fpr fuel pressure regulator to
        see if fuel pressure jumps aprox 10 psi over idle.
        If not fpr is suspect. You could duct tape the gauge
        to the windshield and take it for a ride to see what
        fuel pressure is doing. Also check for vacuum leaks
        around the intake.

http://www.ericthecarguy.com/faq/solving-automotive-performance-issues

Dave CastleDave Castle
        Participant

Hello yes I use Motorcraft

The FP gauge was reading 30 psi at a standing idle when I took the vacuum line off the fp regulator nothing happened so that was one of the multitude of things I replaced before finding this site via YouTube.

Now I am taking my life in my hands again I added HEET to the gas to clean up potentially not so great gas I just drove 40 miles and it was a champ after a starting hiccup. the last ten miles I limped home Like it was on fumes and stepping on the gas made it die now it actually stalls when I give it gas.

I have a new fuel filter I’ll put on in the morning.

This is a highly unusual problem BTW truck has 152K miles

college mancollege man

While the fuel filter is off. Have someone crank the engine
            while you put a jar to catch the fuel. let the jar sit a bit
            to see if water and fuel separate.

Matt BrandsemaMatt Brandsema
            Participant

Man this is a strange problem. It seems the only thing you haven’t touched in the fuel system is the fuel injectors. But I doubt this is the problem as the problem would need to effect all injectors at the same time.

I would definitely keep the fuel pressure gauge attached and monitor the pressure as the car is bogging down. It is possible it is not a fuel issue. Sometimes the ignition control module can go bad and act up after it heats up.

Dave CastleDave Castle
              Participant

Xyius I just dropped the tank today as I thought that the New Fuel Pump might have been put in a tad funny I had a bit of resistance in putting it in Like the filter on the Fuel Pump was floating or something like that.

So to double check I dropped the tank in less than 20 minutes had tyhe new pump out checked for restrictions found none set er back in tightened it up had the tank back in put % gal of gas in went to the gas station filled it and it died on the way home… I pulled over shut it off count to 3 start it drove it home. Eff Bomb this is a funny one. SO I am starting to explore the vacuum line theory.

What the heck is left?

New coil pack with this barrage of repairs.

Tom AmorielloTom Amoriello
                Participant

I know this is old but it explains my issue exactly. Did you ever find the solution?

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                Loading…