Menu

02 Honda Accord 3.0

• Creator
    Topic
    Coby ThomasCoby Thomas
    Participant

This vehicles has me stumped has a misfire on cylinder 2&4 switches coils and the misfire stayed with the cylinders on both. I have the trigger voltage and constant voltage and a good ground at the coils while it’s unplugged. When I plug in the coil I loose trigger voltage.I still have a ground a constant 12v while plugged in. This is the same case on both cylinders 2&4. I pulled up wiring diagrams and 2&4 cylinders trigger voltage pins are right next to each other @the PCM.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Coby ThomasCoby Thomas
      Participant

Sorry for the horrible grammar at typed this on the bumper of this car in a hurry. The spark plugs are brand new and switched the with the coils also. It has me stumped.

Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
        Participant

Just spit balling here …
          Possible fuel injector issue?

Coby ThomasCoby Thomas
          Participant

Possibly,I’m lost as to why the entire circuit works with the coil connector unplugged,then when I plug it in there is no trigger voltage there,it’s like when you put it under conditions to work the pcm stops sending the voltage to it.

Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
            Participant

Could be something with the crank / cam signals ?

Billy AndrewsBilly
              Participant

Regarding the coil trigger connection/voltage, I believe the ECU grounds that wire to trigger the coil to fire, so when everything is hooked up normally, you should see no voltage. The voltage will occur only on an open circuit – I believe what you’re seeing is normal.

Since you’ve already swapped coils and plugs, I would move on to injectors as Richard suggested. First swap an injector from 2 or 4 with a good cylinder and see if the misfire follows. If not, check injector trigger signals with a noid light. And if the injector trigger signals are normal, move on to compression and leakdown.

Coby ThomasCoby Thomas
                Participant

Thanks for the help. I’m going back to look at the car today and will update. When I have the coil plugged in and remove it from spark plug hole I stuck my test light in and it doesn’t arc out against my probe. But on the cylinders next to it it will arc out. I’m going to check the injectors next. As far as swamping them I can’t unless I remove the intake and at that point I might as well replace them. I can unplug and check with a mood light today and update.

Billy AndrewsBilly
                  Participant

If you want to verify whether you’re getting spark, a spark plug tester is cheap from the auto parts store or Harbor Freight. However, fitting that between an on-plug coil and the plug is not always feasible.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  Loading…