Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 02 Honda Civic LX crank but no start

02 Honda Civic LX crank but no start

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 02 Honda Civic LX crank but no start

• Creator
    Topic
    Jeremiah JusticeJeremiah Justice
    Participant

My 02 Honda Civic overheated really bad now it will crank but will not start up. I went ahead an changed spark plugs. Had a compression test done, 0 compression. I was pushing on the left side of the timing belt and it has alot of movement. I also noticed sum coolant leaking from around water pump. Any ideas as to why it overheated really bad and what happened after overheating that has caused it not to start? Any help is very appreciated.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

why it overheated really bad:
        Faulty cooling fan(s)
        Lack of coolant
        Faulty water pump
        Clogged radiator
        Blocked air flow to radiator

What happened after overheating that has caused it not to start?
        0 compression
        Damaged head gasket
        Warped or cracked cylinder head
        Warped or cracked engine block
        Damaged piston rings

Jeremiah JusticeJeremiah Justice
        Participant

Ok, just out of frustration I attempted to start the car again. After holding the gas pedal to the floor it started for about 5 seconds sputtered, backfired through the throttle body then cut off. I tried again and it’s acting like it wants to start but something isn’t there to give it that extra bang. I know 0 compression is most likely 80% of the problem. But why would it have started with gas pedal pressed all the way. Anything else I should replace besides head gasket and getting compression back in the engine?

Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
          Participant

Whoa… slow down there chippy.
            Does the vehicle have clear flood mode?
            Suggest you research that.
            Next, before diving in to replace a head gasket you should do a compression test on all cylinders ( assuming you only did a single cylinder)
            Also perform a leak down test on each cylinder ( you tube videos available to explain the results )
            Beyond just replacing the head gasket both the head and block would need to be checked for flatness also inspected for possible cracks.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…