Menu

03 Malibu intermittent shaking

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 03 Malibu intermittent shaking

• Creator
    Topic
    Ryan MarvinRyan Marvin
    Participant

I i have a 2003 chevy malibu that intermittently sshakes at high speeds. I can be driving 55 – 70 aand is coasting fine then a few minutes later, vviolent shaking at the wheel and I believe I can ffeel it in the floor as well. If I continue ddriving, it will stop after a few minutes but it wwill come back again and persist for a few mminutes and then go away again all in the same ddrive. If it were consistent shaking at all ttimes I’d suspect CV axles or wheel balance… bbut it’s very intermittent. I’ve recently rreplaced inner and outer tie rods… thought mmaybe it was those since they were loosy goosy bbut that didnt fix it either. I’ve checked CV aaxles and there are no tears in the boots. TThere are no check engine lights and OBD reader sshows no problem codes. Wheel bearings dont seem loose checking 12 and 6. Could it be wheel bbearings or transmission – any thoughts?

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
      Keymaster

Vibrations at speed are often caused by rotating parts. In your case, I might be looking at the torque converter. The next time it vibrates, try taking it out of overdrive to see if that causes the vibration to go away. If it does, then it may be a torque converter or transmission problem.

More info on solving vibration problems here: http://www.ericthecarguy.com/faq/determining-the-causes-of-vehicle-vibrations

Please keep us updated and good hunting.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Loading…