Menu

03 S10 Transmission Service

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 03 S10 Transmission Service

• Creator
    Topic
    Slick OneBrandon Towne
    Participant

I have a 2003 S10 4.3 Automatic (4L60E) RWD. I recently bought it in late 2020.

It has 122,000 miles on it and it runs good, drives good supposedly it was owned by an older guy and considering it’s condition which is very good condition over all I believe it for the most part.

However the service history is unknown. The transmission fluid is still fairly light pink with the occasional dark spots on the paper towel, it doesn’t smell burned, it doesn’t look burned and the transmission shifts good I kind of question if it is really 122,000 mile Dexron III because I have another vehicle that has Toyota T-IV which is basically Dexron III as well and it was serviced 60,000 miles ago and is a lot darker compared to my S10.

I want to service the transmission because I want to keep it maintained and get as much life out of it as possible. The part I am stuck as is I do not know if this trucks transmission has been serviced and if it has been I do not know if it has Dexron III in it or if it was switched over to Dexron VI.

GM/AcDelco says to use Dexron VI but I am hesitant because it is a thinner fluid. So I am stuck on what choice to make do I go Valvoline Dex/Merc or do I go AcDelco Dexron VI.

Has anyone else had good luck with putting Dexron VI in older 4L60E transmissions? what would you do if it was your truck?.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

IMHO,
        Guessing will not solve the issue.
        If your that concerned, you might send a sample of the fluid in for testing to determine what it is.
        But if I were you, I would go with the MFG recommendation of GM/AcDelco Dexron VI.
        I would also do it in steps.
        Do a spill and fill along with a new transmission filter. then the following week do another etc until you replace the total amount of fluid that the transmission holds.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Loading…