Menu

'05 Tundra Dirty Lower Intake

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here '05 Tundra Dirty Lower Intake

• Creator
    Topic
    Russ BRuss B
    Participant

I just bought a 2005 Toyota Tundra w/ the V6 engine and 140k miles. I noticed seepage at my valve cover gaskets, and some oil on my ignition coils when I went to change the plugs. So I took everything apart to change the valve cover gaskets, spark plug tube seals, upper intake manifold gasket, etc. I discovered my lower intake had a build up of sludge and oil around the upper intake gasket. Is this abnormal buildup? Is it a sign of bigger issues like worn piston rings? While I still have everything apart I’d like to address the issue.

• This topic was modified 4 years ago by Russ BRuss B.
      • This topic was modified 4 years ago by Russ BRuss B.
    Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

The oil deposits may be due to your seeping gaskets.
        Along with the internal build up which also is due partly by the PCV system.
        You can minimize the pcv deposits by installing a oil catch can setup

Russ BRuss B
        Participant

Great suggestion on the oil catch can. I’m looking into installing a quality one once I get everything back together. I’m debating pulling the lower intake and cleaning it. I think to do so I would have to remove the fuel rails and disconnect some fuel lines as well. So, if I’m going to do that I have a problem. I was never planning on disconnecting the fuel lines so I didn’t relieve the pressure first. Now I have all the electrical connectors pulled off of the coils, injectors, various VTV sensors, and throttle body. The upper intake, throttle body, and air cleaner are all removed. So how do I safely relieve the fuel pressure with all this removed or disconnected? I’m worried about reconnecting the neg. battery terminal with all these electronics disconnected.

Participant

A quick and dirty way..
            Find the fuel filter and disconnect the line going forward to the fuel rail.
            At least you won’t have to worry about fuel spraying around the engine.

Russ BRuss B
            Participant

What about the schrader valve? I’m seeing some vids of ppl depressing the valve with a rag over it to depressurize?

Participant

If you have one on the fuel line, absolutely you can use it to relieve the system pressure.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Loading…