Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 07 GMC Yukon Denali pull to left when braking…again

07 GMC Yukon Denali pull to left when braking…again

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 07 GMC Yukon Denali pull to left when braking…again

• Creator
    Topic
    broke blokeg a
    Participant

It sometimes pulls to the left when braking with a decent amount of pressure. I don’t drive the vehicle but spouse complains about lack of stopping power. I’m wondering if it’s a hanging caliper, bad wheel hub, faulty brake hose or something else.

Had similar pulling issue in 2018 (I don’t remember which direction it pulled to) and took it to mechanic. Had the front left and right brakes replaced including: calipers, rotors, and pads. He also replaced front passenger wheel bearing & hub assembly at the same time. If memory serves correctly the mechanic blamed the car pulling during braking on the bad hub, which he then said ruined the brakes…

I need the car fixed by this weekend and would prefer to take it on myself but just not sure where to start. I don’t want order new caliper(s) if its something else. Also of note, both Power Stop calipers were new in 2018 and came with a nice gray finish. The front right caliper still looks nice and clean, but the front left (the side the car now pulls to) is either very rusted or just really dirty compared to the other caliper.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

You need to check that all calipers are functional.
        Also that all caliper pistons can be collapsed.
        See if these are helpful:
        https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=test+for+seized+brake+caliper+

broke blokeg a
        Participant

Thanks for the response. Would I need to check the rear calipers?

Participant

I would check all 4 to be sure that the calipers can be eliminated as causing any issue(s)

broke blokeg a
            Participant

UPDATE:

I had the right front caliper and hose replaced and that seemed to fix it. The Yukon is no longer pulling to the left, is now braking much better overall, and the right front wheel/brake aren’t heating up at a much higher temp compared to the other wheels/brakes.

Participant

Glad to hear you got it sorted out.

broke blokeg a
                Participant

Thanks Richard.

I put a new front calipers from PowerStop on just 2 years ago, plus a front left side hose. Given how little we drive I was disappointed to spend this much $ again on another new caliper for the front right.

Of course the difference this time is we replaced the original front right side hose along with the same side caliper. Could a bad hose have damaged the 2 year old caliper?

Participant

Very possible considering the age of the vehicle.
                    But it is also possible the caliper itself failed prematurely.
                    FYI:
                    I replaced both front calipers on my SUV, I figured they were 16 years old so why risk it.
                    Less than a 14 months later, both failed due to rust formation on the metal piston cups.
                    Luckily I kept the originals and decided to get a set of rebuild kits.
                    Reinstalled the rebuilt originals and have been working fine for 2 years.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  Loading…