Menu

0W-20 oil for Rav4, 2011 vs. 5W-20?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 0W-20 oil for Rav4, 2011 vs. 5W-20?

• Creator
    Topic
    Paul HartmannPaul Hartmann
    Participant

The book for this car says 0W-20 for very cold starts. I live in the midwest. I have read where this thin oil may not give the motor enough protection under load in the heat. so I plan to use 5W-20 even for the cold of the winter upcoming. Any thoughts?

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Caleb StovallCaleb Stovall
      Participant

Midwest of what?
        Canada?

ed ked k
        Participant

for cooler weather it is better to use “thinner” oil; the 2AR-FE engine was designed to use 0w20 synthetic from the factory i would stick with that. all car makers do cold weather testing on their new cars/engines

in a pinch you can use 5w20 but the manual states that 0w20 synthetic must be used for the next oil change

MikeMike
          Participant

[quote=”pauloil” post=176481]The book for this car says 0W-20 for very cold starts. I have read where this thin oil may not give the motor enough protection under load in the heat. So I plan to use 5W-20 even for the cold of the winter upcoming. Any thoughts?[/quote]

Once the engine is at operating temperature, both oils will be 20 weight and provide the same protection.

If the owners manual specifies 0W-20 for the ambient temperature range you’ll experience in the winter, use it. It’s not a good idea to drive the vehicle hard after a cold start until the fluids are warmed up, regardless of the oil you use.

college mancollege man

++1 on using what oil is recommended for the vehicle. 0-20

GregGreg
              Participant

Using a heavier oil can also cause issues with VVT solenoids and cam phasers

Paul HartmannPaul Hartmann
                Participant

this SUV has always had just the 5-20W installed, convential oil, in Des Moines, IA in the winter months. once in the summer the Toyota dealer in Des Moines put in 5-30W. at 18k Miles in June. The dealers look it up and see that it has been conventional oil, and that is what they advice. I’m just going to change the oil because the last time I went there, it took 90 minutes.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                Loading…