Menu

10 vs 13 piece socket sets

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Tool Talk 10 vs 13 piece socket sets

• Creator
    Topic
    AndrewAndrew
    Participant

Hello all, newbie here. I have a question regarding socket sets. I’m looking to invest in a full set of sockets. After looking at Gearwrench, husky,HF and other brands, I am noticing that when it comes to 1/4 SAE sets that most manufactures only sell a set of 10. I am a little OCD and don’t like having empty slots on my socket holders. The only brand I have found that has a full set of 13 is snap on, and if need be I can spend the money, but don’t really want to. I am wondering if this is a common thing amongst tool manufactures or if the non included sockets are not used that much? Any information you provide would greatly help with the decision making process. Thanks

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Steven AshleySteven Ashley
      Participant

Have you checked Tekton out yet? I think that they offer this option.

A . SpruceA . Spruce
        Participant

My suspicion is that the additional 3 sockets probably aren’t all that necessary, just depends on the sizes of them. 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 7/16, 1/2, and their equivalent metric are the most common sizes, anything smaller is rarely, if ever, going to be used. Anything larger puts you firmly into 3/8 drive territory.

Now, if you find yourself working on microscopic things, like computers, small appliances, etc., then maybe a couple smaller sockets might come in handy for those occasions. If it were me, I’d skip them now and add them later if necessary.
          A small adjustable wrench or pliers will handle those tiny things.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…