Menu

12 Acura TL Strut Fork Question

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 12 Acura TL Strut Fork Question

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Kirk Kirk 7 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic
    Kirk
    Kirk
    Participant

Greetings readers. Long time ETCG lurker here, with a question about my 2012 Acura TL SH-AWD suspension.

I was in the process of replacing a clattering upper control arm when I ran into trouble removing the strut. The pinch bolt came out fine, but the lower bolt going through the fork and the lower arm gave me a hard time. When I finally got it out, the fork went *PING* and the right side bent upward toward the hood. The strut was still connected to the tower at this point.

Upon removal, it appears that the strut fork was bent. I got a replacement one that is just a bit too snug for the strut, but isn’t bent (see pics).

My question is, am I okay hammering this onto the strut with a rubber mallet, or should I try to pry it open a little bit? Thanks for your help!

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Paul
    Paul
    Participant

I would first remove the rust in the strut hole with a wire wheel, which might be interfering with fitment. Plus, the corrosion will continue, making future removal a nightmare. You should be able to press the strut into the fork by hand, although the strut (usually) has a protrusion that needs to be aligned in the fork. Light tapping from a rubber mallet shouldn’t hurt the strut, but don’t set your arm to “kill” mode.

Tangent: How did the fork bend that much?

Nightflyr *
    Richard Kirshy
    Participant

JMHO …
    I would clean up the rust in the bore first.
    If the fit is too tight, might try tapping wedges to open the bore just enough to get the strut to slide in.

Just out of curiosity.
    Your telling me the original part just sprung that far open on its own….
    That didn’t occur by it being hammering it open.

Kirk
    Kirk
    Participant

I bought the car used from a family member who had jumped a curb at a pretty good speed, and did some damage to the axle which had to be replaced. I think this may have been residual damage from that incident that wasn’t discovered because the lower bolt going through the lower arm was holding it straight. I don’t have any other ideas as to how it else it could have been bent this severely.

Kirk
    Kirk
    Participant

I agree, and I certainly didn’t try to hammer it open. I did have to hammer the lower bolt out of the fork, which I thought was odd since there was no tension from the strut. With the strut loosened from the tower, I was able to move the it almost out of the fork with just the pinch bolt removed, but not quite all the way out. I re-attached the strut to the tower before attempting to remove the lower bolt so that the fork and strut assembly wouldn’t just crash to the ground once the fork was released.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Loading…