Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 1993 Honda Accord weak AC after total rebuild

1993 Honda Accord weak AC after total rebuild

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 1993 Honda Accord weak AC after total rebuild

• Creator
    Topic
    CameronCameron
    Participant

Hi all, I just completed a total system rebuild for a 1993 Honda Accord that had an AC compressor seize up and throw crud into the rest of the system. I ended up replacing the compressor, condenser, accumulator, evaporator, and txv, as well as pulling all hoses and liberally flushing them to remove any possible remaining contaminants.

System was rebuilt with new Orings and placed under a constant vacuum for 2 hours to evaporate any moisture, then left overnight under vacuum to check seals. Once that passed, it was filled with new refrigerant and managed to achieve 38 degrees F from the vents during filling.

Fast forward to the next day, and the AC is extremely weak. The compressor clutch engages and disengages normally, no problems there, and pressures on the system look great (40 low, 205 high, 85 degrees ambient). The low side line is extremely cold to the touch (not freezing, but very cold) and the high side is hot. However, the system cools very sluggishly, and only pushes cool air at idle. When accelerating, the air does get colder than at idle or normal driving speeds, but not as quickly as one would expect from a healthy system. If running on the freeway, the air will constantly cool down and eventually (around 5-10 minutes) get “cold”, but this will start to slope back down to “cool” quickly after transitioning back to normal stop and go driving.

Does anyone have an idea as to why this system is running so poorly or have any suggestions for further tests that I could perform to isolate the problem?

Thanks in advance!

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

Might check the operation / positions of your blend doors and their seals.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Loading…