Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 1998 Cadillac Seville STS electrical problem

1998 Cadillac Seville STS electrical problem

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 1998 Cadillac Seville STS electrical problem

Tagged: 

• Creator
    Topic
    Thomas O'NeillThomas O’Neill
    Participant

I feel bad as the new guy just jumping right into asking for advice on a problem.
      This electrical problem came out of nowhere and I honestly have no clue where to start.
      Here is the issue.
      When I turn the key to on everything works fine (Dash lights, gauges, radio, interior lights, windows, climate control) all work perfectly, the second I start the car all of that stops working, the gauges stop working the interior lights stop working, the window switches don’t work, the radio stops working.)
      The dash will light up with “Security” “Service Engine Soon” “Traction” and that’s it.
      I’ve checked the fuses and relays and all are working, so I’m not sure if there is a ground issue or what.
      I really don’t know where else to look.

Thanks,
      Prometheus

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      A toyotakarlIts me

I think think you may have a VATS passkey security system. Well known for keeping more owners from starting their car than stopping a criminal from stealing it. I had it on a 1999 Seville and used a resistor to solve the problem. If this isn’t the issue, then you may have a problem with your cluster. They are coded to the VATS system so getting a new one from the pick and pull won’t help unless you have it re coded to the same resistance that is on your key chip (there are 15 different codes) . You can find the code for your system by using an ohm meter to read the ohms on the chip of your key and referencing it to the list on the website at the bottom. Or you can send it to SPECMO. SPECMO also they can change the code to match your key (if you get a different cluster from the pick and pull). Also they may be able to repair a bad cluster if yiu have a bad one. http://Www.specmo.com

More info:
        http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-tech-tips-how-fix/172040-how-bypass-vats-passkey-ii-system.html

Zach KirkpatrickZach Kirkpatrick
        Participant

Good morning all! Thomas, did you ever get this issue resolved? I am having the exact same issue and was hoping you had some insight! Thanks in advance!

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…