Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 1998 dodge intrepid overheat CALLING ALL TECHNICIANS!!

1998 dodge intrepid overheat CALLING ALL TECHNICIANS!!

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 1998 dodge intrepid overheat CALLING ALL TECHNICIANS!!

• Creator
    Topic
    2StrongMNG2StrongMNG
    Participant

Ok So i posted a add on here before about the 1998 dodge intrepid overheating.. i had some good responses….
      Now i need some help

Ok so a quick review of the issue

88 thousand miles… 2 weeks ago started to run hot….

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      jacobnbr1jacobnbr1
      Participant

Do a block test to rule out possible head gasket failure.

Perform a visual inspection of the timing belt area but in more specific the water pump area and how tight the timing belt is at the pump.
        3.2 and 3.5 engines I have seen the belt be a little loose causing a slippage of the water pump pulley causing an overheat condition but only at elevated engine speeds.
        Confirmation would be to actually grab the water pump pulley and try to turn it with timing belt tension still applied. This can be accomplished without full disassembly of the timing belt covers and if it turns that is enough to warrant a repair because the pump cannot flow if the pulley slips, if not then you have gone the wrong direction but you might consider this being a perfect opportunity for checking the belt for cracks and oil seals leaking which would of course problems as well.

I would hook up a bi-directional scan tool and command the fans on to confirm they work but also testing the circuit integrity and pcm drivers, relay etc…

A pressure test would only be for the discovery of a coolant loss and would be an idiotic waste of time if there is no evidence that supports an actual coolant leak exists not to mention a complete waste of money for a test that is priced twice of what the actual face value of the test should cost.

2StrongMNG2StrongMNG
        Participant

i agree… as soon as he said a pressue test,…. it made no sense…
          im having trouble finding a block tester.. i called advanced… auto zone all of them none of them carry them….

Trcustoms719Trcustoms719
          Participant

+1 on the block tester.
            A leak down test will also tell him if it’s a bad head gasket too.
            I do both a pressure test and leak down when diagnosing cooling system problems, I like to be 100% sure on both test.

2StrongMNG2StrongMNG
            Participant

Could i test for a head gasket issue with a vacuum guage???

TexasCoderTexasCoder
              Participant

This may or may not help, but at 88k on a ’98, it is time to change the timing belts and water pump. What size engine does it have the 2.7 or 3.2? The 2.7 had a couple of recalls on them, check into that, but I use to own a 2002 Intrepid 3.5HO and at 93,000 miles the water pump was completely trashed. Mine did not start to over heat, I was just tearing into it to change the timing belts and got lucky.

I am not saying this is what is causing your issue, but you need to be aware that the GEN II intrepids had some tweaks to the engine and drive train that were not worked out till later years, and considering yours in on the upper end of the generation change, I would be performing the scheduled maintenance at the chrysler’s factory specification mileage.

But to re-iterate, follow the guidlines from your other post on checking for coolant (Do a pressue test, but do it yourself, $125 to test is outrages) leaks and start to track it down that way, you do not want to warp the heads or cause any internal damage.

When you say over heat, is it maxing out the temp guage and you are getting your “Check Guages” light turned on, or are you seeing the temp guage in the 3/4 mark?

Also, how does your coolant look, is it dirty brown or a nice orange? I am wondering if you might have blocked coolant passages, but this is an extreme guess, at 88k and being a ’98 I am wondering if maintenance was performed properly on all the fluids?

Come to think of it, are you in the Dallas area? I will help diagnose it.

Trcustoms719Trcustoms719
                Participant

Their won’t always be coolant loss if it’s a bad head gasket.
                  And a head gasket can go bad and not show coolant in the oil.
                  A cooling system pressure test and cylinder leak down test should be done.

2StrongMNG2StrongMNG
                  Participant

my worst feeling is that its a head gasket issue… i need to get a block tester… that tool that turns the liquid from blue to green if there is combustable gases in the coolant… lol its easy for people to say to pressure test it my self… i dont have the tool.. and money is tight… lol BROKE is more like it….. i have a Vacuum guage and tester though.. wouldnt that tell me?? it would tell me if the cylinders are holding a seal

Shaun_300Shaun_300
                    Participant

Never used a block tester, seems to be a good test though. Could be a headgasket split between the cylinder and a waterjacket which will induce air into the cooling system. Another way to check that is to take a compression gauge and take the shrader valve out of it. Screw the attatchment into each spark plug hole and plug compressed air into it, if you see bubbles in the radiator you have a bad head gasket.

OnThe7ThDayFordOnThe7ThDayFord
                      Participant

This sound like a thermostat problem to me. ….I know you changed it – BUt the fact thats its hot on top and wam down below???
                        Maybe the radiator is clogged? DId you reinstall it right?

Do both your upper and lower hoses have pressure ??

STILL ran hot… so i thought ok maybe its the water pump… but coolant has GOT to be flowing.. upper hose gets hot.. lower hose gets warm…. full resevoir tank goes low

Wait what????How do you know???

Like they said. I would get the block tester……
                        I really dont think its a head gasket problem tho.
                        It sounds like something is clogged.

Heres your block tester my brother (Get one for me since youll be there lol jkin) Been dien to test this baby.
                        http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/OEM-Block-Tester/_/N-25dh?counter=1&filterByKeyWord=block+tester&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=391378_0_0_

EndSupremacyEndSupremacy
                        Participant

EricTheCarGuy actually has a video on how to diagnose this problem. I suggest you watch the whole video. Here is the link to his video:
                          http://www.youtube.com/user/EricTheCarG … UzOTnsWImI

This video should be very helpful. He not only tells you the possible causes, but he also shows you how to check them. Chances are you will find out your issue with this video. Hope this helps. Keep us posted.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                          Keymaster

Quoted From EndSupremacy:

EricTheCarGuy actually has a video on how to diagnose this problem. I suggest you watch the whole video. Here is the link to his video:
                            http://www.youtube.com/user/EricTheCarG … UzOTnsWImI

This video should be very helpful. He not only tells you the possible causes, but he also shows you how to check them. Chances are you will find out your issue with this video. Hope this helps. Keep us posted.

Took the words right out of my keyboard. The video also shows the ‘block test’ however I would also watch this video on bleeding the cooling system as if it’s not done correctly air could still be in the system causing an overheat, if you follow the steps in this video you’ll be able to get all the air out. If you do this and you still have issue do the block test to see if you have a combustion leak as has been suggested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUpXgAJ1gjU

WDHewsonWDHewson
                            Participant

I had an old British beater as a teenager.

It took most of the summer to figure out the cooling system problem. No coolant leaks, all perfect, but it overheated at anything but idle or very slow driving.

We finally deduced that coolant pump suction at higher speeds was collapsing the lower radiator hose and pinched off flow. When inspecting the engine with the hood up at idle, the suction was low and all looked normal.

Maybe replace your hoses for some good stiff ones.

EndSupremacyEndSupremacy
                              Participant

Quoted From WDHewson:

I had an old British beater as a teenager.

It took most of the summer to figure out the cooling system problem. No coolant leaks, all perfect, but it overheated at anything but idles or very slow driving.

We finally deduced that coolant pump suction at higher speeds was collapsing the lower radiator hose and pinched off flow. When inspection the engine with the hood up at idle, the suction was low and all looked normal.

Maybe replace your hoses for some good stiff ones.

Don’t you hate it when there is a problem due to something stupid?

dreamer2355dreamer2355
                                Participant

Did you ever check to make sure also that your radiator cap is holding pressure?

Eric’s video should be an excellent aid for you.

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Loading…