Menu

1998 Ford SVT Contour

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Favorite Cars 1998 Ford SVT Contour

• Creator
    Topic
    RedeemerRedeemer
    Participant

If I had to guess why this would be my favorite car, I would have to say because I own it! There’s a lot of other cars I want, But can’t afford!

I could go into the long story of me hating the previous owner for messing it up, but I will save that for now.

Anyway here is number 3632 out of 11,445

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      ETCGAdministratorETCGAdministrator
      Participant

That is nice! What does the SVT add to it? A friend of mine had the 5 speed 3.0 liter, and that thing would MOVE!! It could always take the Ford Taurus SHO off the start. Nice car, I like it!

RedeemerRedeemer
        Participant

Well picked the other one up today, It needs alot and I quote ALOT of work! Here are some pictures! But the good news is I can ask for answers here! L:D

MattMatt
          Participant

I think yer car looks awesome, and yeh, the new one needs plenty of work. I would definitely hold onto it for parts like you said, because it’s been my experience that when you need say, an inner door handle bezel or something for a car that old, you’re gonna pay out the nose for it. And now, you wouldn’t have to worry about stuff like that. Plus, if the drivetrain isn’t trash, even better bud. Good luck with your project. I always did like those cars. I wanted to add that I think the cowl hood on that second ‘dream car’ looks awesome…

RedeemerRedeemer
            Participant

Yeah the pieces for these are becoming really tough to find. Its rare to find a dealership that has anything for them now. So far I know it needs a new fuel pump, I’m hoping the spare I had from another contour works in it. Other then that if I can get it running I might fix it up. Right now ive got it up on ramps and jack stands. Those wheels where on there good, Had to kick the hell out of em just to get them off!

And about the cowl hood, I have been trying to get my hands on it for years! I almost had one earlier this year, but the seller didn’t want to ship it……

MattMatt
              Participant

I’m not super familiar with contours, but I thought the were mostly 4 bangers, and had a weak 6 (prolly a weaker 2.5?). So if the pump fits but isn’t strong enough, you can get helper pumps fairly cheap. Or mebbe the Probe GT’s or the Cougars with the 2.5? I doubt it’s really an issue tho. But honestly, just the damage on the right rear quarter of the new car makes me cringe 🙂 Another edit. Since you brought it up, have you considered the 3.0 changeover? Does it happen to bolt up to the current transaxle? That would be dirty in a car that size.

jbonejbone
                Participant

I say keep it like it is, Your right, the road will eat it up, trust me…..C;(

RedeemerRedeemer
                  Participant

That is actually stock ride height for them, They came with a special body kit unlike normal contours. I have been going back and forth over lowering it for a while, I want to, but then again the road wants to take chunks out of my bumper.

I really didnt have a plan for it when I first got it, But after joining a forum dedicated to them, And looking through alot of pictures. I now know how I want it too look. The car I have used as a model for mine, Well it just looks evil.

Here’s the pictures of the one I look up too! ( I hold no claim to these photo’s what so ever!)

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                    Keymaster

Interesting choice, and nice photo. Looks a tad lower than stock I like it it gives it an agressive stance.

RedeemerRedeemer
                      Participant

Svt went and added alot to it, They upgraded almost everything that matters. Basically they took the 175’ish hp car up to 195hp (not much but you can tell the difference). Then again in 2000 they did more upgrades and got it up to an even 200hp. They were all 5 speed 2.5’s, Which makes me think either your buddy swapped it, or obviously someone who might have had it before him did.

It is becoming a common modification when the original 2.5 blows, to upgrade it to a 3L. Mainly because you can buy the 3L’s for a good deal less then the svt 2.5. Thats not to mention the power boost it gives.

They are great cars, And believe it or not but I’m actually going to be towing my second one home today. its gonna be number 6309 / 11,445. It needs alot of work, So as of right now I’m not sure if I’m going to restore it or use the parts.

RedeemerRedeemer
                        Participant

There are alot of 4 banger contours that came with the 2.0 zetec engine (My first contour was one!), They made a good 135hp…. As for the probe, I am not sure what fuel pump they are using in that one. But there are a few fuel pumps I can use, SVT Focus would be the top choice. The other 2 that I can use would be from a 2.5 mystique, or a 2.5 cougar.

I have always been considering the 3L change, but theres other things I have to spend my money on first. So I’ll probably go with the SVT 2.5 until it blows. I guess it kinda depends on what version of 3L I went with, I could do a full 3L, or a hybrid which I believe incorperates the upper half of the svt motor. As far as I know there are a few 3L’s that will bolt up to the transaxle (some escapes, some fusions, some taurus, possible some sables)

This is a picture of a pre-98 contour with a hybrid 3L. Of course he spent alot of time and money on it! (again I hold no claim to this picture!)

SVTDiceSVTDice
                          Participant

Man, Those things are NICE. I really like the Raked look. Very aggressive. If you need Ford parts though, I can help you get them to you for 10% Over Cost from Ford. Just shoot me a PM and I’ll send you a link. If they don’t have it I’m sure they can get it for you.

Edit: I love SVT’s <3

RedeemerRedeemer
                            Participant

Thanks I appreciate the offer, If none of my parts people can hep me, I’ll send you a pm. I dont think that is going to be much of an issue though, Ive got guys who have been parting these regularly.

XThee FordXXThee FordX
                              Participant

thats cool man you always have to love your car

dpest1885dpest1885
                                Participant

Loved the black rims!!

RedeemerRedeemer
                                  Participant

I found some rims that I plan on getting for it, Unfortunately they only seem to come as 16’s. Thats what its running on now so I guess it shouldn’t be much of an issue.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…