Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 1998 Nissan Frontier knocking from transmission and poorly running engine

1998 Nissan Frontier knocking from transmission and poorly running engine

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 1998 Nissan Frontier knocking from transmission and poorly running engine

• Creator
    Topic
    Nick stawczykNick stawczyk
    Participant

I have a 98 Nissan Frontier with the 2.4 l and the 5 speed transmission. I was driving and went over train tracks, which is part of my daily commute, and out of nowhere, there is a knocking noise coming from near the transmission everytime I accelerate, and the engine is on the verge of dying. I was able to get it home very slowly, since I was only about 5 mins away. Could this be as simple as a bad engine or transmission mount, considering the engine was shaking badly, along with the whole car, and would that cause the engine to run very poor, or is it a serious tranny issue, like a clutch or pressure plate. The knock only happens when the engine is revvved a bit, and does not knock at idle or from the engine. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks all

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Dave TidmanDave Tidman
      Participant

There could be a lot of things causing this. I would try putting the rear up on jackstands and have a helper drive the truck while looking to see what is going on. Since it happened after a bump, I would check things like leaf springs, u joints, the center carrier bearing and as ou mentioned the engine and transmission mounts.

FYI, you can access the FSMs for the frontier here: https://www.nicoclub.com/nissan-service-manuals

They have sections in most sections on troubleshooting vibrations, etc.

Good luck, let us know what you find.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Loading…