Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 2000 Dodge Dakota making weird engine noise.

2000 Dodge Dakota making weird engine noise.

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2000 Dodge Dakota making weird engine noise.

• Creator
    Topic
    Michael GrayMichael Gray
    Participant

There’s this weird noise that happens while driving the Dakota. It sounds like a rusty lever being moved. I want to say that maybe it’s a worn out pulley baring on the front of the engine. But that might just be my imagination. I hear a very quiet, intermittent crunchy noise when the engine is idling and I have the hood up.

There are no error codes, all the fluids are topped up, and everything seems to be operating as it should. I’m no mechanic; I struggle to change the oil on my own. I’m also flat broke. I’ve got to either fix this myself, or wait for it to brake down and then be in even worse shape.

Suggestions welcome. 🙂

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Michael GrayMichael Gray
      Participant

Ok, I watched some ETCG videos, and found a bad idler pulley. I managed to replace it myself, and now the engine is quiet while idling. However, there is still a noise coming from somewhere that sounds like an old rusty wheel turning. Like a medium pitched groan. It comes and goes, but it’s there most often at 20mph or faster, and gets louder when the speed increases. But it’s not constant. It still comes and goes.

I’m thinking this one might be in the wheels or axels maybe? I listened as a driver and a passenger, and it seems to be coming from the driver’s side. Turning doesn’t seem to affect it. It’s hard to tell for sure, but I think the noise goes away when braking. I’ll search for more info and videos, but again, suggestions are welcome.

Michael GrayMichael Gray
        Participant

Had the brakes checked yesterday. They and the wheels seem fine. Also yesterday, the alternator seized and I had to get a tow home. So now I’m thinking that it has been the source of the noise. Fortunately, alternators are something I can wrap my brain around. I’ve rebuilt them before.

Michael GrayMichael Gray
          Participant

Not that anyone cares, it seems, but it turned out to be the alternator. Locked up the other day, and had to have the car toed. A replacement is on the way.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…